Weekly challenge 10/2 - 10/8 On the Road Again EXTENDED through 10/15!

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For this week’s challenge, post photos of roads. City streets, country lanes, highways, coastal routes, elevated, underground, straight, curved, uphill or down. Try to incorporate some other techniques into your photo. Motion blur, car trails, shooting low and wide, compression, focus stacking….

One rule - you must take your photo safely. Be cautious about where you set up. Don’t shoot while driving. Don’t stand in the middle of the road. Don’t pull over on a busy highway. Don’t turn your back on traffic. Only pull over and exit your car where its safe to do so. Use sidewalks, overpasses, center islands, bridges, pedestrian walkways and most importantly, use common sense!

As always, new photos only for the challenge please. Get out there and shoot!

Just a friendly reminder that the weekly challenge is for new photos taken during the challenge week. Once the challenge week is over, you’re welcome to continue posting in the thread. Also I believe there is a thread in the Themes forum for roads if you have older photos to share. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hmmmmm, I took two (better) shots as a part of a tryptych I was planning from a walk at Arlington National Cemetary's Lee Mansion today. Upon further review it must be a road and not a path or walk so I give you only one of the three.

image.jpeg

Side note. A night multiple/long exposure I shared a couple weeks ago was taken from behind the sign on the median just before the start of the bridge.

Last edited:
I like solitude, (plus SquarePeg's safety request) so I decided to go for a hike yesterday on an old road behind a locked gate. As expected, I never saw another soul until I got back near the state highway.
IMG-8774.jpg

The road is in good shape, but the few vehicles that can access this area seem to rarely cross the old bridge.
IMG-8784.jpg

IMG-8792.jpg

On the way out and a more frequently used road.
IMG-8811.jpg

IMG-8815.jpg

Last edited:
I like solitude, (plus SquarePeg's safety request) so I decided to go for a hike yesterday on an old road behind a locked gate. As expected, I never saw another soul until I got back near the state highway.
View attachment 249039
The road is in good shape, but the few vehicles that can access this area seem to rarely cross the old bridge.
View attachment 249040
View attachment 249041
View attachment 249042
View attachment 249043
I'm partial to the last one, leading towards the water. I can hear the gravel crunch under your boots.

Not completely happy with this one. I think I need to keep trying.

Fall road trip by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Edit to add that I was not in the middle of a road. I was in a parking lot and this is the road in/out. There were only 3-4 other cars in the lot but I still had a friend stand behind me making sure no cars were leaving the lot.

Last edited:
Not completely happy with this one. I think I need to keep trying.

Fall road trip by SharonCat..., on Flickr
For me roads are tough because the road itself and the signage around it are often distracting. You got me to thinking that I should have popped over to the parkway that leads to Mount Vernon. The surface is light brown stone and unmarked. The Colonial Parkway that connects Yorktown to Jamestown through Williamsburg is also like this. Good inspiration.

View attachment 249039
View attachment 249040
View attachment 249041
View attachment 249042
View attachment 249043
Regarding the 'bridge'. Gee, I sure don't understand why.

Extended through 10/15!

Most reactions

Back