Weekly challenge 12/19 - 12/25 Vignettes

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For this week’s challenge, use vignetting to enhance your photo. Many people ignore this useful tool when they’re editing. The flip side is that it’s easy to go overboard and end up distracting from the subject instead of enhancing it. I add a vignette to almost every photo. In most cases, keeping it subtle works best (I like anywhere from -9 to -15}. Typically, a vignette is a darker edge but occasionally a lighter vignette enhances the photo better - especially with a darker subject on a light background. Try both a darker and lighter style. Experiment with different shades, edge transformations and sizing of the center. If you want to post with/without that’s great too.

New photos only for the challenge please. Get out there and shoot!

Vignettes 101

When To Use Vignetting In Photographs

How You Can Use (or Not Use) Vignetting to Transform Your Photography

vi·gnette
/vinˈyet/

noun
  1. 1.
    a brief evocative description, account, or episode.
    "a classic vignette of embassy life"

2. 2.
    a small illustration or portrait photograph which fades into its background without a definite border.

produce (a photograph) in the style of a vignette by softening or shading away the edges of the subject.

_DSC4453 (3).JPG
_DSC4456 (5).JPG

When I first joined the forum someone on here said if you can see the vignette you have gone too far. I try to keep that in mind when adding one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back