Weekly Challenge 2/13 - 2/19 Look here!

I didn’t have any time to shoot this week until today. I ended up trying to capture a snowflake with not much success - will really need to research the how tos before trying again. But it does fit subject isolation. Quality is very lacking I know.
View attachment 203745

I would think the surface needs to be very cold and the conditions for producing symmetrical flakes must be just right as well. Not sure what they are either. Very dry air?

Last edited:
2021_0220_11385500-01.jpeg

That reminds me of a lighthouse I've visited near Two Harbors on Lake Superior.

St. Joseph Lighthouse, MI. Couldn't get to the second one in front of it. Had to climb a ice wall and I don't own shoe spikes. Felt like -5°.

Awesome shot!

FYI- I got a set of inexpensive spikes called yak trax at Dicks and keep them in my car. They’ve come in handy a few times - including today on my hike. They’re not serious mountain climbing spikes but they do the job in slippery spots. Not sure they would have helped you with an ice wall but I did climb up fully iced over stairs to the top of a waterfall last year.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...sted+Keyword&filterFacets=facetStore:ISA,SHIP

St. Joseph Lighthouse, MI. Couldn't get to the second one in front of it. Had to climb a ice wall and I don't own shoe spikes. Felt like -5°.

Awesome shot!

FYI- I got a set of inexpensive spikes called yak trax at Dicks and keep them in my car. They’ve come in handy a few times - including today on my hike. They’re not serious mountain climbing spikes but they do the job in slippery spots. Not sure they would have helped you with an ice wall but I did climb up fully iced over stairs to the top of a waterfall last year.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/search/SearchDisplay?categoryId=&storeId=15108&catalogId=12301&langId=-1&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&fromPage=Search&searchSource=Q&pageView=&beginIndex=0&pageSize=48&searchTerm=yaktrax+walk+traction&DSGsearchType=Suggested+Keyword&advsearch=true&SearchType=Suggested+Keyword&filterFacets=facetStore:ISA,SHIP

Thank you for the link. Those look similar to what a young guy was wearing. I need to find warm boots as well, the ones I have don't keep my toes warm. I will sort this out for next winter. The money shot was in front of this one. Much more ice as it is on the end of pier. Lots of bird spotters climbing that wall of ice today. Apparently, there are some rare birds in that pier area this time of year. It was a good learning experience for me today, I will be better prepared and in better health next year. I think the Holga 120 would be really cool here.

Awesome shot!

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/search/SearchDisplay?categoryId=&storeId=15108&catalogId=12301&langId=-1&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&fromPage=Search&searchSource=Q&pageView=&beginIndex=0&pageSize=48&searchTerm=yaktrax+walk+traction&DSGsearchType=Suggested+Keyword&advsearch=true&SearchType=Suggested+Keyword&filterFacets=facetStore:ISA,SHIP

Thank you for the link. Those look similar to what a young guy was wearing. I need to find warm boots as well, the ones I have don't keep my toes warm. I will sort this out for next winter. The money shot was in front of this one. Much more ice as it is on the end of pier. Lots of bird spotters climbing that wall of ice today. Apparently, there are some rare birds in that pier area this time of year. It was a good learning experience for me today, I will be better prepared and in better health next year. I think the Holga 120 would be really cool here.

Most reactions

Back