Weekly challenge 2/6 - 2/12 Get out and get close

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For this week’s challenge, let’s focus on macro (or close up if you don’t have a macro lens) subjects that are found outdoors. I know it’s winter for many of us so this doesn’t have to be a flower bud, insect, blade of grass type of challenge. Instead, try to find interesting subjects and textures that are available at this time of year - tree bark, pine needles, icicles, frost on a window, snowflakes (!), pine cones... it doesn’t have to be a natural subject, buildings, fences, outer doors, car parts, ice melt etc. are all interesting macro subjects found outside in winter. If you’re up for it, try some focus stacking or go for a shallow dof to highlight your subject.

New photos only please for the challenge. Get out there, get close, and shoot!

Killing time at the COVID-testing drive thru line. Nikon F2 with 50 mm f/1.4 lens, captured on Fujifilm XTRA 400 and processed at home.
img287-900.jpg

@Peeb I hope your just testing to stop the spread, not feeling sick!

Brought my macro lens on my hike today but it was so icy that I really didn’t take it out of my bag more than a few times. I stupidly left my spikes in the car so I had to be really careful of my footing. Plus the pup still likes to try to take off after squirrels so have to be alert or will end up on my butt. This is one of the 3 photos I came home with.

BEC734CE-40B5-4AB2-B333-D550CDADCAB7.jpeg

I went out yesterday for the first time with the camera in a long time. Pity I did not see the challenge before I went out.
Did some street photography but quite honestly nothing caught my attention
Mainly family groups making the most of a nice day at our beach
And yes some of the kids had ice cream despite it being cold lol

The next 10 days a lot of snow and ice, we have not had any problems here since 2010, but it will be really heavy in the coming days if I've to believe the weather reports, it's not recommended to go outside, trains hardly run, 40,000 appointments for Covid testing have been turned down...

View attachment 203265

@Peeb I hope your just testing to stop the spread, not feeling sick!

Brought my macro lens on my hike today but it was so icy that I really didn’t take it out of my bag more than a few times. I stupidly left my spikes in the car so I had to be really careful of my footing. Plus the pup still likes to try to take off after squirrels so have to be alert or will end up on my butt. This is one of the 3 photos I came home with.

View attachment 203263
Thanks for asking! It's just a precaution- I'm feeling good.

Looks like it's cold everywhere, even in parts of Europe according to gk. Here -20c (-4f) today but sunny. Wimped out yesterday and took these window frost pix..

IMGP7545es.jpg

IMGP7550es.jpg

..then re read the challenge and it clearly said "outside".

Cobbled together a set up for macro that would be easy to work with gloves on and went outside as ordered. SMC Macro Takumar 100mm f4 on a #2 extention tube, f8 for a wee break on the dof.

IMGP7621es.jpg

IMGP7626ees.jpg

Not macro, because I don't have the capabilities so here's a shot as close as I can get, plus cropped about 50% closer.
It's of the 1st Skink of the year when there was a break with a slightly warmer day. I've never seen them in our back yard this early and never brown. I'm wondering if the colder temperature is causing this as they are usually green.
Shot w/ Nikon 180mm on a full frame Nikon at f4 about 6' away.
MT1_3115 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Gives me a chance to use my new 40mm macro lens. Until today I had only used it for slide/neg copies.
Hellebore, Lenten Rose

Hellabore.jpg

Forsythia Bush, mistakenly called Yellow Bell locally, which confuses it with the actual Yellow Bell from Texas.
Yellowbell.jpg

Looks like it's cold everywhere, even in parts of Europe according to gk. Here -20c (-4f) today but sunny. Wimped out yesterday and took these window frost pix..

View attachment 203285

View attachment 203286

..then re read the challenge and it clearly said "outside".

Cobbled together a set up for macro that would be easy to work with gloves on and went outside as ordered. SMC Macro Takumar 100mm f4 on a #2 extention tube, f8 for a wee break on the dof.

View attachment 203287

View attachment 203288

Yeah not the best timing for an outdoor challenge! But it is beautiful out there in the snow.

Well we had the sugar granular snow
Here I a take on an old classic
Parsley sauce with fish
Try snow and parsley

Attachments

• 125BAA76-E1B5-4B68-A7AE-165A3E992954.jpeg
    125BAA76-E1B5-4B68-A7AE-165A3E992954.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 63

Most reactions

New Topics

Back