Weekly challenge 3/14 - 3/20 indoor lighting

Elective surgery has been canceled due to the covid 19. I was supposed to get it worked on next week, one hand at a time.
My wife is the RN in charge of surgical services at one of our local hospitals, part of a big hospital system.
No elective surgeries for the duration due to lack of supplies. Could be months.
Emergency surgeries only.
Feds are making mandates that are contradictory, not sensible and/or impossible to follow given the unavailability of N-95 masks and other supplies. Too many competing Federal agencies, CDC, NIH, OSHA are like too many cooks...
Then local surgeon physicians who are hospital medical directors are interpreting the mandates idiosyncratically.
And individual surgeons have been deciding that they don't have to follow any rules.
She Who Must Be Obeyed has been working 10 to 15 hour days for weeks trying to keep all the ducks in a row.
It's like herding cats.
She says there isn't enough alcohol for her to get through this virus-emic.
Even before the COVID, the regular flu had all hospital beds in Albuquerque occupied.
Post-surgical patients had no rooms to go to after surgery. So everyone has been working double shifts taking care of them.
Canceling non-emergency surgeries will help nurses stay afloat.
It will help provide service for emergent situations.
Her nationwide compatriots say hers isn't an isolated situation.
They all feel there isn't enough alcohol...

@johngpt That's terrible to hear but not surprised seeing how under prepared our hospitals and supply chains are. Having no pandemic team in place, and the government’s initial downplaying off this has really put us all at risk.

best to your wife and thanks to her for her service and dedication

Just finished other edit from my most recent indoor shoot.
_MG_3131.jpg

Been a tough week to work on things but I found my old Canon Speedlite and Yongnuo flash trigger/receivers. I took me awhile to remember how to get the system to work, and one of the triggers needed Q-tip and vinegar on its connections.
Then our clothes dryer bonked out on Wednesday.
Despite attempting to adhere to self isolation, I had to have a repair person come by and fix the dryer. He today very kindly wore the mask I gave him. I knew he was wondering what a gorilla mask would do to help the situation.
Actually it was one of the masks I had left over from chemo last year. We both wore one.

I wasn't going to wait for nightfall so set up these daffodils inside and set up the camera aiming toward the outside.
The Speedlite was on a stand off to camera right.
After much trial and error, I found f/11 at 1/180 and the Speedlite at 1/16 power worked.
The daffies are lit by indoor light while the outside is, well, outside.

daffodils, off camera flash

And here is one of the shots taken trying to figure out the exposure for the outside. I ended up using a faster shutter.
49680363778_d63aeb3561_w.jpg

I like the gorilla masked repairman visual.

Re post 19 is that going to be the new Dr Who screen?

My big paws... busted my knuckles 17 times in my lifetime. I'm paying for it now. Arthritis isn't fun. My knuckles need to be moved and repaired. Elective surgery has been canceled due to the covid 19. I was supposed to get it worked on next week, one hand at a time.

View attachment 188612
were you a boxer... i hope you heal up well once your surgery is complete..

Most reactions

Back