Weekly challenge 3/7 - 3/13 Playing favorites

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We all have our favorite lenses. For this week’s challenge, let’s show our least favorite lens some love. Maybe it’s the focal length, or the lack of OIS/VC/VR, or the lack of AF - for whatever reason, you just don’t reach for that lens. Commit to using it for a week, a day, an outing...force yourself to make it work for you.

For the creative inspiration/direction, the subject of the photos will also be “favorites”. interpretation is up to you.

Er this could be a problem. I would have to really think what is my least fav lens.....

Unfortunately the only reason my 85mm lens is my least favorite is because it back-focuses, so it's a lens that I just won't use anymore. Otherwise, I love my 100mm and 50mm lens equally for different reasons.

The Tamron SP f/8 - 500 mm mirror lens seemed like a nice purchase (equipped with Olympus OM bayonet, so also usable on my old Olympus OM10 film camera), but I never actually use this specific lens, because focusing in combination with a mirorless camera is completely impossible and produces hardly any sharp photos.
(kitchen backsplash with Fuji X-E1 + Tamron 500mm mirror lens)

View attachment 188094

I recommend the 50 mm f 1.8 to people who want a low cost reasonably fast lens. I think it's an important lens for anyone to have in their bag but ironically I really don't like using it on the full frame.

Here are three from walking around today.

Glass and steel

20200308140828_IMG_7116-01_copy_1422x800.jpeg

Last edited:
I like the nifty fifty, ok I am on a crop sensor

My least favorite lens is the Pentax retractable kit zoom that came with the K S2. Optically it's good as far as kit lenses go but right from the start it was so sticky to open and retract that this feature was a useless bother. Focus was unpredictable as well. Perhaps I was unfortunate enough to get a bad one. Finally, a sideways bump while it was extended retired it.

For this challenge, I have chosen one of my thrift store attempts at replacement. This one got the choice after a rather lackluster performance on a gifted Pentax A3000. Not too heartbroken as it set me back $15. Nothing special, just a few pix of the melting snow in my sunny yard this afternoon.

The lens, Takumar A 28 - 80 zoom. OK build, bit heavy and clunky but found a newer Pentax FA 35 - 80 that I like better.
IMGP5308es.jpg

..and what it gave me...
IMGP5289es.jpg

IMGP5290es.jpg

IMGP5288es.jpg

IMGP5293es.jpg

Don't know how to get rid of these so I'll leave them. Same lens on the "almost" macro setting.

Attachments

• IMGP5299es.jpg
    IMGP5299es.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMGP5304es.jpg
    IMGP5304es.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Still using the Tamron 18-400 mm lens... for the birds..lol

Not bad given the compromises built into that lens. I have it and it is my second least favorite lens overall but I got it for business travel and for that...it is my favorite.

I guess my least favorite is the 14mm. I bought it instead of the 10-24 because I wanted the smaller lighter weight lens but I’m not a prime shooter. I will take it out with me tonight even though I would rather use a zoom.

Not bad given the compromises built into that lens. I have it and it is my second least favorite lens overall but I got it for business travel and for that...it is my favorite.
what lens is your favorite..? My least favorite is this one..Tamron SP 70-300 mm... this one is truly frustrating to me.. and sometimes i get the right results.. most of the time i don't..and this lens reminds of me of a eye doctors lenses that he flips when you read off the chart.. unless you get it totally in focus when you snap the least little movement will change everything.. one of these days will buy a great lens.. no more tamrons..
DSC_5058 (2).JPG
haha now that i have it on the camera again.. i am going to practice with it again.. thanks

Last edited:

what lens is your favorite..? My least favorite is this one..Tamron SP 70-300 mm... this one is truly frustrating to me.. and sometimes i get the right results.. most of the time i don't..and this lens reminds of me of a eye doctors lenses that he flips when you read off the chart.. unless you get it totally in focus when you snap the least little movement will change everything.. one of these days will buy a great lens.. no more tamrons.. View attachment 188284

I had that lens with my Nikon 7100. It was good for me as far as the VC went and I got good images long as I was fairly close. It was not great when cropping g was required. But that could have been the smaller MPs of the 7100...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back