Weekly Challenge 4/25 - 5/1 Bokehlicious

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For this week’s challenge, show off your best bokeh techniques/lenses. Please include your lens and settings if you can.

I included a link below on how to create artificial bokeh in post process. There are several methods that are very easy to do especially with the new selection brushes in Lightroom. There are a lot of other tutorials out there on this subject. If you create your own bokeh, you can include details on your process or not. You do not have to state the bokeh is created artificially. Maybe in the future we’ll have a real or fake bokeh challenge?

As always for the weekly challenge, new photos only please. Get out there and shoot!!

I've been shooting a lot of college sports and for this got a Canon EF 300 f 2.8 IS L. When shooting sports, I think more about "separation" than bokeh. This lens is stunning and for portraits could produce fantastic bokeh (if you can get far away from the subject) but for sports I think about the center of the action standing out from the background and foreground. A different way of thinking about essentially the same concept.

EOS R6_1156.jpg

EOS R6_1134.jpg

I've been shooting a lot of college sports and for this got a Canon EF 300 f 2.8 IS L. When shooting sports, I think more about "separation" than bokeh. This lens is stunning and for portraits could produce fantastic bokeh (if you can get far away from the subject) but for sports I think about the center of the action standing out from the background and foreground. A different way of thinking about essentially the same concept.

View attachment 255721

View attachment 255722
Nice shots! What is the reason for the college sports shooting? Is there a relative playing or just for the fun of it? I love sports but can't imagine watching lacrosse for fun lol. Or field hockey. Only went to those when my daughter or niece was playing!

Nice shots! What is the reason for the college sports shooting? Is there a relative playing or just for the fun of it? I love sports but can't imagine watching lacrosse for fun lol. Or field hockey. Only went to those when my daughter or niece was playing!
Those shots were from a High School game last evening. I just wanted to go out a practice some more with this lens. Shooting a prime, as you know, is very different from a zoom. The 70-200 f 2.8 and the 100-400 4.5-5.6 are fantastic optically but require less "vision" to get the desired composition.

In January I got hooked up with a web site that covers college sports and shoot mostly baseball right now. In the fall it will be football and winter basketball.

Also, when shooting sports I'm not really watching the game. I find myself anticipating a situation that will be interesting and preparing for it. Player's face(s), ball, and an interesting situation are what I look for. Often when I get the shot I want I'm asking "what just happened?" because with a long lens its like looking at the elephant with a magnifying glass. The most sage advice I got from an old friend who shot sports on film for AP: "if you see it through the viewfinder, you missed the shot."

In January I got hooked up with a web site that covers college sports and shoot mostly baseball right now. In the fall it will be football and winter basketball.
That sounds like fun! I loved shooting softball. Looking forward to seeing some of your game photos.

Most reactions

Back