Weekly challenge: 4/27 - 5/3 The Shooting Blind Challenge

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For this week's challenge, it'll open your eyes to shoot blind. No LCD, No EVF, No optical veiwfinder, or target viewfinder. Straight from the hip or above the head, behind your back, or between your legs. You can edit, crop, or whatever, no problem, just shoot the image blind. If you decide to crop, show us the original as well. Tell us what surprised you, would you consider doing it more? Or your general experience from it. As always, new photos only please.

I was inspired to offer this challenge by stumbling across a book, "Shooting Blind" Photographs by the visually impaired; Edward Hoagland authored.

How about dropping a Polaroid and it shoots out a picture?? lol was reminded of that in another thread, but don't think I'll do it on purpose.

Shooting out the driver's window, phone resting on the left shoulder..pretty effective...

Wow, that's what I call a challenge, JC.
It 'smells' of candid, journalism, street photography, action, b & w and film.
I hope many TPF members will participate in this challenge...

Now.. How does one prove the blind shot?

That is how I shoot video with my GoPro & Sony when too sunny out to see the LCD.

Both my X100 and X100F have fixed rear screens so there are times when I have to use "dead reckoning," but I'm really trying to get my shot framed as best I can. I'll shoot and chimp and keep trying until I get the framing I had wanted.
Does this meet the challenge criterium?

Do this quite a bit when using my film pinhole cameras. I take my chances with a bunch of shots, hope for the best.

Last edited:
Both my X100 and X100F have fixed rear screens so there are times when I have to use "dead reckoning," but I'm really trying to get my shot framed as best I can. I'll shoot and chimp and keep trying until I get the framing I had wanted.
Does this meet the challenge criterium?

If your not using the lcd or viewfinder, your good.

Do this quite a bit when using my film pinhole cameras. I take my chances with a bunch of shots, hope for the best.

Yes sir, that is blind shooting!

Here are three blind shots that I took this afternoon whilst out walking. I set the camera to automatic for exposure and manual at infinity for focus.

blind shot 1 - 1.jpg

blind shot 2 - 1.jpg

blind shot 3 - 1.jpg

These are SOOC. The framing was guesswork. I have more: this is a great challenge and lots of fun!

Most reactions

Back