Weekly challenge 5/15 - 5/21 Shallow vs Deep DOF

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. I’m traveling this week and was planning to extend last week’s challenge but it seems to be one of the posts that was lost. So instead we are going to post photos using shallow dof too isolate your subject and/or to blur a busy background. Post the shallow dof shot and post the same photo taken at f11.

As always new photos only for the weekly challenge please. Get out there and shoot!

On my own travels here, wandering around a desert arboretum in Utah. I saw these and thought of the challenge. These are maybe not the best examples of isolation but I thought they were interesting.
1/500, f/6.3 (lowest lens will go), ISO 100, 300 mm
DSC_0497.jpeg

I think there was too little DOF for the bud cluster. I think I like this next one better.
1/500, f/11, ISO 400, 300mm
DSC_0498.jpeg

And this is what they look like when they flower.
DSC_0494.jpeg

I shot George Washington University versus Georgetown University baseball on a perfect Tuesday evening. I took this one just for this post.

Taken on a 70-200 f 2.8 at f2.8 and f 11 from behind the 1st base dugout. For a wide crop like this it doesn't make as much difference as a tight crop (not shown). In tight the shallow depth of field really sets the player apart from the background.

R6__9348GWGT_14_28.jpg

R6__9349GWGT_14_11.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back