Weekly challenge 5-18 - 5-24 Slow shutter

I thought I'd throw in one more from yesterday's outing at the botanic garden before Flickr does its upgrading.
This one is a composite. Two images were combined in post via masking, after each had been completed.
The blurred water came from an image shot with both the IR filter and the 10 stop ND filter, ISO 400, f/11, 58 sec.
The upper portion came from the image shot just with the IR filter, ISO 1600, f/11, 1/30 sec.

40942913223_277e598b4b_b.jpg

calm water Sasebo 21May19

I've more ideas for the challenge but I don't know if there will be enough time.
I wanted to do some night time painting with light while the shutter stays open.
I wanted to try some auto light trails.
I wanted to try for the Milky Way.
I'm not one to hoard ideas so if any folks want to try some of these, please go for it!

Addendum: The key to getting better IR images is setting a custom white balance

Do you use this camera for astro photography? I have an older body I was thinking of converting.
I'd probably use my newer version of the X100, the X100F for trying to catch stars and the Milky Way.
My googling astrophotography suggests a camera with not much noise at high ISO and a fast wide angle lens are the best combo. Full frame sensor would allow a longer shutter open time before one sees star trails.
I'm not sure what you had meant by converting, but if you meant you might need a camera converted to infrared to do astrophotography, my research suggests that isn't so.
I was thinking of buying a Nikon D750 and the Rokinon 10mm f/2.8 lens for our son as a grad school graduation gift. He is interested in astrophotography. For myself, I would just go with my X100F as it opens up to f/2.0.

I'm not sure what you had meant by converting, but if you meant you might need a camera converted to infrared to do astrophotography,

Digital cameras have a filter over the sensor that filters out infrared and I think ultraviolet light. There is a company that will remove this filter from your camera enabling it to pick up a broader spectrum of light that is more conducive to astrophotography. I have a camera I could do this with but have not yet taken the plunge.

https://www.lifepixel.com

I've more ideas for the challenge but I don't know if there will be enough time.
I wanted to do some night time painting with light while the shutter stays open.
I wanted to try some auto light trails.
I wanted to try for the Milky Way.
I'm not one to hoard ideas so if any folks want to try some of these, please go for it!

Even after the challenge week is over, the thread will remain open as a theme. I was also planning to try some of your ideas but had a busy week of family and work stuff so didn’t get to shoot at all :(.

Creative images with this challenge!

Most reactions

Back