Weekly challenge 5/23 - 5/29 DOF

. i have watched them build and now looking forward to wee ones...

Funny, I can tell you are further North as not only are our chicks hatched, but they've flown the coop. Looks like your stalking paid off.
Thank you... very north... they are just sitting on the eggs...we had snow in middle of may..it is hot the past few days and now going into a week of cool.......poor birds..

I shot these with the PC adapter and Kaleniar 150mm on the Fuji. the adapter was at an angle and lens pointed about 7 degrees to the 2 o'clock position.
1gDTn6q.jpg

AxbvyqN.jpg

One more. Shot with a Rebel XT and 28-135 ISM F4.5 ISO 100

RzhAoUw.jpg

[QUOTE="photoflyer, post: 4034463, SNIP>struggling more when I want deep depth

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

DEEP DOF is very easy to achieve with small formats like 110, disc, and cell phone or compact P&S DIGITAL.The smaller the capture format, the greater the depth of field for each given picture angle. The standard one lens cell phone typically has a picture angle which approximates about a 28 mm wide angle lens on a 35 mm or full-frame digital camera. The typical one-lens cell phone lens is a 3, 3.5, to 4 millimeter.

DISTANCE is a HUGE determinant of DOF. At 1500 foot distance even a 400mm lens has a pretty deep DOF. FOCAL LENGTH and f/stop do play a part, but a week-long exploration of depth of field at The Online Photographer blog about 10 years ago (7 years ago maybe?) proved that distance is the key variable, behind format size.

Some 40 years ago Kodak invented the "disc" format so that they could make a camera that had pretty much infinite depth of field from about 2 and 3/4 feet to Infinity, without using a focusing lens. The fixed-focus disc format cameras used a flat film in the shape of a flat thin disc that looked so much like the 3D discs from Viewmaster, but the film was much smaller. Basically the disc format film image size was about the same size as the average cell phone camera sensor is today, and used about the same lens length. When your normal lens on your phone is a 3 to 4 mm f/2.8, you get deep depth of field quite easily when you are focused about 3 ft from the camera.

One way to easily get the depth of field you desire is to manually focus stopped- down using the camera's depth of field preview. Shoot and review. Use smaller apertures, like f7.1 or f/8 ,or 11, 16, or 22. Use short focal lengths, and don't get too close.

If if you want to make pictures with great depth of field, consider using the smallest-format camera that you can get. A micro 4/3 camera has much greater depth of field at a given picture angle than does a Fuji GFX 100... it is all a matter of physics.

[QUOTE="photoflyer, post: 4034463, SNIP>struggling more when I want deep depth

Thoughts?

DEEP DOF is very easy to achieve with small formats like 110, disc, and cell phone or compact P&S DIGITAL.The smaller the capture format, the greater the depth of field for each given picture angle. The standard one lens cell phone typically has a picture angle which approximates about a 28 mm wide angle lens on a 35 mm or full-frame digital camera. The typical one-lens cell phone lens is a 3, 3.5, to 4 millimeter.

DISTANCE is a HUGE determinant of DOF. At 1500 foot distance even a 400mm lens has a pretty deep DOF. FOCAL LENGTH and f/stop do play a part, but a week-long exploration of depth of field at The Online Photographer blog about 10 years ago (7 years ago maybe?) proved that distance is the key variable, behind format size.

Some 40 years ago Kodak invented the "disc" format so that they could make a camera that had pretty much infinite depth of field from about 2 and 3/4 feet to Infinity, without using a focusing lens. The fixed-focus disc format cameras used a flat film in the shape of a flat thin disc that looked so much like the 3D discs from Viewmaster, but the film was much smaller. Basically the disc format film image size was about the same size as the average cell phone camera sensor is today, and used about the same lens length. When your normal lens on your phone is a 3 to 4 mm f/2.8, you get deep depth of field quite easily when you are focused about 3 ft from the camera.

One way to easily get the depth of field you desire is to manually focus stopped- down using the camera's depth of field preview. Shoot and review. Use smaller apertures, like f7.1 or f/8 ,or 11, 16, or 22. Use short focal lengths, and don't get too close.

If if you want to make pictures with great depth of field, consider using the smallest-format camera that you can get. A micro 4/3 camera has much greater depth of field at a given picture angle than does a Fuji GFX 100... it is all a matter of physics.[/QUOTE]

Yes sir, very informative post. To back you up, my image above was shot with Nikon P950, it has a small sensor 1/2.3. I have a weird passion for bridge cameras. Lol

Last edited:
The Nikon P950 has a wide, wide ratio zoom...83x...24 to 2,000 equivalent in 35mm 24x36 capture size.
Screenshot_20200531-070847_Chrome.jpg

Most reactions

Back