Weekly challenge 7/20 - 7/26 Perectly imperfect...

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While trolling around on the web for challenge ideas I came across something called Wabi Sabi. I love this concept and am stealing it word for word for this week's challenge. I'll post the link as well:

Wabi refers to simplicity, loneliness. Imperfection or asymmetry. It can be anything – made by nature or by man – that has some type of flaw or irregularity. The presence of this “flaw” gives a unique beauty to the subject, like an asymmetrical shape on a ceramic object that can never be exactly replicated, or the unique grain patterns that are present in different wood types.

Sabi refers to the beautiful imperfection that comes with the passage of time. It states that the use of an object, and the changes that occur from that use, make the object more valuable and beautiful. This word mostly refers to rust, but can be attributed to the decayed characteristics of wood, or the discoloration of pottery from contact with hot water, over time. Sabi gives us an appreciation of the value of age and experience.

Your challenge this week is to show us the beauty in imperfection, the grace of aging, the value of experience.

Weekly Photo Challenge! | 52Frames

Wabi-Sabi Photography – The art of the imperfect

As always, new photos only please. Get out there and shoot! As this is on the main board, no nsfw please.

In my case Ill break the lens!

But Ill look for such!

Patterns in the bark of a tree:

wabi sabi snail - 1.jpg

whether snails are the cause of the trails or there's some other reason, I liked the coincidence of the presence of one of the wee beasties in this shot.

An old tractor:

wabi sabi old tractor - 1.jpg

this old timer is now used to pump water from a stream to irrigate an orchard.

Hi there everyone! Good morning. I’m a newbie here but an oldie in photography. This looks like a fun challenge!

I immediately thought of the Washington Monument. Note the change in stone at the 150' level.

"Construction of the monument began in 1848 and was halted from 1854 to 1877 due to a lack of funds, a struggle for control over the Washington National Monument Society, and the intervention of the American Civil War. "

This imperfection is a vivid reminder of a difficult (Wabi) but important (Sabi) period in U.S. history. When construction resumed the stone was taken from a different quarry.

20190720100621_IMG_3057-01-01-830x1474.jpeg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back