Weekly challenge 7/31 - 8/6 Express Your Self(ie)

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For this week’s challenge, post a creative self portrait (or 2 or 10). Any format, with or without your face, silhouetted, in shadow, using a mirror, reflected in something else, phone camera, self timer, remote release, have a friend or pet push the button (as long as the concept is yours you can get help with the execution)… a self portrait can be anything that represents YOU!

As always, new photos only for the weekly challenge please. Get out there and shoot!

21 Self Portrait Photography Ideas You Should Try Yourself

Thank goodness for the ten-second timer. I'm still rather confused about B&W conversion, but I'm working on it, trial and error. I'm a fan of film noir and detective fiction.

Selfie B&W sml 3854.jpeg

Thank goodness for the ten-second timer. I'm still rather confused about B&W conversion, but I'm working on it, trial and error. I'm a fan of film noir and detective fiction.
Excellent! Great book choice for the b&w and it goes well with the hat. I think @smoke665 experimented with noir for a bit if you’re looking for tips on the conversions.

Excellent! Great book choice for the b&w and it goes well with the hat. I think @smoke665 experimented with noir for a bit if you’re looking for tips on the conversions.
Thanks very much. I appreciate the comment and the tip.

@Robshoots Good start! Over the years I've seen many different interpretations of Film Noir. For me I tend to follow the more classic form that uses hard light and shadow, to create a moody, dark and intimidating feel. Heavy on the contrast with deep shadows and bright highlights. It's all about the story the image tells, but not so much story that it gives away the ending.

Few years ago I became fascinated with Raymond Chandler and his character Phillip Marlowe. I did a series of shots, where I learned a lot, that has influenced my B&W shots today. Here's one of my favorites from the set.

"I'm an occasional drinker, the kind of guy who goes out for a beer and wakes up in Singapore with a full beard.”
― Raymond Chandler, Philip Marlowe's Guide to Life"
2021-08-01_05-56-26.jpg

Last edited:
@Robshoots Good start! Over the years I've seen many different interpretations of Film Noir. For me I tend to follow the more classic form that uses hard light and shadow, to create a moody, dark and intimidating feel. Heavy on the contrast with deep shadows and bright highlights. It's all about the story the image tells, but not so much story that it gives away the ending.

Few years ago I became fascinated with Raymond Chandler and his character Phillip Marlowe. I did a series of shots, where I learned a lot, that has influenced my B&W shots today. Here's one of my favorites from the set.

"I'm an occasional drinker, the kind of guy who goes out for a beer and wakes up in Singapore with a full beard.”
― Raymond Chandler, Philip Marlowe's Guide to Life"
View attachment 246817
Wonderful shot! That classic noir look is exactly what I have in mind. And you couldn't have picked a more classic reference than Philip Marlowe. Raymond Chandler is one of my favorites. Thank you for the info.

Let's try it. Watching ST-Voyager and glancing at Polar Bear International Tundra Buggy highlights (Churchill, MB).

cmw3_d750_01.jpg

Most reactions

Back