Weekly challenge 8/31 - 9/6 Exposed!

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For this week's challenge, lets play with exposure. Ignore your histogram and "the rules" and use your eyes to decide on final exposure of a photo. Get creative. What looks good? What makes your photo eye catching? Sometimes over-exposing (or under-exposing) a photo takes it from mundane to interesting. Post photos that are under or over exposed on purpose to enhance the final result.

As always, new photos only for the weekly challenge. Get out there and shoot!

Jim Richardson on Overexposing Photos (on Purpose) -- National Geographic

Better Portraits Through Overexposure

Proper Exposure – Purposely Under or Over-Exposing Your Photos

Purposely over exposing will often lead to an image which would have fit well with last week's "soft" challenge!

Underexposing and converting to black and white to give it a creepier feel. Nobody likes to think of what lurks in dark corners! :eek-73: (I might be getting a little over excited halloween is getting closer. :ghost: :eagerness:

Sinister.jpg

Last edited:
Whoah that's awesome. Very creative.

image deliberately underexposed + extra yellow layer added
cruise ship Ms Rotterdam - Holland America Line - length 237 meters (this cruise ship is no longer sailing and is moored - as a very luxury hotel / restaurant / conference center - in the Port of Rotterdam)

View attachment 179036

It's actually a shame to view these types of edits online (on a small screen), because as a decoration on the wall it just comes out much better. Overexposure plus zoomblur - although not the center of the flower - to achieve the desired dreamy and soft effect, then mirrored twice to obtain a kind of kaleidoscope effect. (by the way I've no idea what the photographed flower is called, sorry :frown-67:)

View attachment 179072

Most reactions

Back