Weird and Crazy Idea

his4ever

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stonecafecreations.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
One of the areas of photography that interests me the most is photojournalism. I really would love to get to know that area more. I have rented book from the library to look at other works so that I can see how these photographers captured the moment.

Is it a crazy idea to ask the local newspaper if I could follow the pro-photographers around on their job so that I can see and learn how they do it? I am not sure if this would bug them... but it is really important to me.
Thanks

No, it is not a crazy idea. In fact, offer your time to the local photojournalist for free... carry some equipment... assist with various things.. and in return you get to observe/learn. The worst thing that they can say is "no".

Some students will do the same with a wedding photographer to learn the ropes and understand the business.

If you don't ask, you won't ever know. I think their response will depend quite much on the personality of the one you ask. For some it might be cumbersome to have an "assistent" at their heels, and others might quite like the situation of being able to pass some of their knowledge on to someone who is interested.

Go ahead and ask them.
What do you have to lose?

Like I went to that new photographer's studio/shop and simply asked if I could accompany him/assist him on some wedding photography. Not that wedding photography is my primary field of interest or even something I want to start a business in, but I want to broaden my horizon in any way, so I just asked.

Still waiting to see what his reply will be, but last time I was in his shop, my name and address still were on his pinboard. I thought that was a good sign ;).

Go for it!. I did it with a lady from the Milwaukee magazine and it went really well. First off she stopped at our school and I got her business card and then I emailed her. She always gives me long replies to all my questions and is great. She did tell me that she will try to get me onto one of her shoots but it is hard with all the college students trying the same thing. She did suggest trying smaller newspapers. Even though she said it would be hard to shadow her she did say that I can come into her office and things like that.

Slightly weird, but it never hurts to ask. A better idea is to just do it yourself. Shoot local events and see what you come up with. An even better idea is to work on a project. Could be anything from live drum and bass to local ranchers. Aspen Times just ran an amazing photo spread on a funeral home. Anything is possible. Only requirement is your passion.

Love and Bass

Thats a good point. I might start my own project....

off topic: I laughed when you said drum and bass cause thats what I am listening to right now.

wow... thanks for all the thoughts and encouragements. Craig, I think I have lots of access to events in my area that I can practice on. I wish I could make it, but there is a community Purnium event in my area and the advertisment said that there would be "colorful costumes" there. The bummer is I have acapella practice. What a bummer... but there will be other times.
Thanks so much again!

Currently I am listening to DJ Rap. She is hot. I go from Hospital Records to a little bit of Evol Intent and Gridlock etc. Rap is hot because she is some where in the middle. I started in Breakbeat, so to me she hits a lot nerves.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back