Weird glowing effect... is this normal?

I think the effect you're seeing is called "bloom". At least that's the term used when trying to simulate it in sophisticated rendering engines. As I remember it (researched loooog ago now) contributing factors included airborne water vapor, several kinds of lens aberrations - (including dust, scratches, trapped water vapor or condensation, impure materials in the lens itself AKA cheap glass, and even temperature differences between the lens and the outside air). And of course it needs very high contrast subjects to be noticed much.

Human eyes produce bloom because of the temperature differences with the outside air and the fluid that coats them - though mostly the fluid.

If it is external conditions like dampness in the air a polarizer might help - I dunno.

Ok, well I re-cleaned all my lenses and did of experimentation with them and reviewed the images. Took the pictures at various aperature sizes and the effect seems to be lessened... however, the situation was totally different as I didn't have sunlight and wasn't taking the pic at work. (the latter may be less of a concern... just thinking of atmospherics)

I need to wait for a sunny day and try this again.

The good thing about all of this is I'm becoming very very very familiar with the characteristics of my lenses. :lmao:

Most reactions

Back