Weird Nikon cap...any info?

Shakespeare

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Nikon folks,

Does anyone know when this cap might have been in use? It has metal tabs on the sides, and the back threads make a three-quarter semi-circle. (I have another one with the same back but the front tabs have been replaced with the more familiar squeeze pads)

Thanks!

S

Attachments

• $Nikon-cap-front.jpg
    $Nikon-cap-front.jpg
    595.9 KB · Views: 164
  • $Nikon-cap-back.jpg
    $Nikon-cap-back.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 166
Many many thanks. I knew someone would know!

S

Yes, that is simply an older Nippon Kogaku cap for a NIKKOR lens. All of Nikon's best lenses have been called "NIKKOR". NIKKOR was on the caps prior to NIKON being put on there.

Nikon (Nippon Kogaku K.K.) accessories Group - Lens hoods and Lens / body caps for Nikon S-Mount Nikon Rangefinder (RF) cameras

I think your cap design might be from a late 1950's rangefinder lens or perhaps an early F-mount lens.

As you can see, there have been MANY lenscap design variations!!!

Derrel, you really need to start your posts with "It's a little known fact that...." :lmao:
You're definitely the Norm of TPF. There's isn't much that goes across this screen that you don't have an answer for. Either that, or you're feeding us a bunch of roughage...:lmao:

Yes, it's true. Derrel's superpower is the ability to put together a convincing looking web site in 2-3 minutes, so he can link to it!

Too funny amolitor!!!

I actually have one of those caps around here someplace. PLus a few of the later ones of the same general style that say NIKON. After that style, there was one that had some little "protectors" over the release buttons, but which was very much the same basic design, with that "checkering" pattern on the front, and the NIKON logo all in black.

Some years back, I bought a small 4.5 x 9 inch bag that was labeled "Bag-o-Nikon caps" at a big photo store. I payed a measly $15 and got tons of weird mix-n-match Nikon caps, in 52,62,77,58mm sizes. I could not believe my good fortune...it was like $150 worth of caps, for fifteen bucks!

It's an early Nikon F cap- one like it came with the 5.8cm F1.4 Nikkor-S, early days of Ebay were great. The 52mm rangefinder caps have "nippon kogaku tokyo" on them, no checker pattern, one came with the 10.5cm F2.5 on a Nikon S4 rangefinder. Long story- owner of a camera shop told a customer that his camera was too old and they had no interest in trading it for an N6006. I was standing next to him, traded an N8008. Many years ago.

Most reactions

Back