Weird rocks stacked...

JTHphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
okay so yeah, this is about as "Dark" as I get but i thought i would contribute to the new gallery. This kind of creeped my out like Blair Witch style when i came across it in the middle of the woods... i mean, who does this...??? I was hoping for a darker tone in these images, but i just couldn't capture the mood i was going for... just harsh mid-day light i think...

freaky_4182sharebw.jpg

2. There were literally hundreds of stacks...

freaky_4170sharebw.jpg

freaky_4177sharebw.jpg

4. okay this has some kind of weird Salem-Witch-Trial, freaky-cult worship thing going on... it's totally in the middle of nowhere, like a mile off the nearest trail, all the rocks cleared out, a stone pillar stacked taller than me in a circle about 8 feet across... :confused:

freaky_4157sharebw.jpg

(if anybody knows why people do this, i'd love to know)

color version is in the general gallery --> http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43799

These are called 'cairns' They're a Scotish tradition, generally they're as a memorial for an event or a person but sometimes they're used to mark a path. More recently you'll find random groups of them, like you have, as people have seen one and decided to make another. Have a look here for more complete info...

ps. Love the photos, last one is outstanding!

Love these, very dark. Think they look quite eeire even without the info, but its always best to know where they were.... adds more to the feel of them. Certainly is a strange thing to come accross and you've captured them well here, nice work :thumbup:

Nice... I do like the b&w better - gives it a slightly creepier effect. Nice shots! Very blair-witchy!

REally cool. Can you imagine the time it took to stack them. Those witches do some good work though.:lmao:

Cool tributes ... you did an excellent job on them. :thumbup:

As for those of us in the Coven ... if ya wanna know the REAL story ...

(woogidy woogidy sounds ... )

I'm just kidding ... :lol:

thanks for the comments y'all...

+1 rep for everybody... ;)

this is worth a bunch of reps... great shots...

funny that most people automatically think witch....

most witches ( i would think....wouldnt know for sure...) would not attract that much attention to themselves...besides, nothing to it if you know the right spell... the rocks move themselves....( not that i would know...!!)

ring, that was an interesting read, you can see why they would be so anti- rock piles... it completely distracts from the natural beauty of your surroundings and makes you feel a little creeped out and even compelled to stack a few yourself... :lol:

actually i couldn't decide if i should build some or knock some of them down so i just let them be and took photos...

Most reactions

Back