Welcome to the big time!

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
Okay, without getting onto the analyst's couch, let me just confide in you all that for pretty much my entire life I've had something of a self-esteem issue. I've always thought I could do anything...just not do it that well.

Anyway, I know we've gotten much better at photogrpahy in the time we've been in business, so when Kel came home and told me her company's camera club was sponsoring an open print competition, I thought that might be a nice opportunity to get our feet wet with competition prints. It was free to enter, so all I was out was the cost of the prints and fifteen bucks worth of black foam-core.

We submitted 8 photos--6 of mine and 2 of Kel's. We dropped them off yesterday morning, the morning of the judging. She called me to tell me that when she dropped them off, she saw that there were a lot of photos and some of them looked really good. 'Ahh well,' I thought, 'it was cool to enter and I can deduct that foam-core from the taxes, so no great loss.'

About 5:30 the phone rings and it's Kel telling me that she's on her way home, but stayed to see the results of the photo contest. "Oh, cool," I say. "How bad did we do?"

Of the eight photos we submitted...

Best in Show--Sports category (John's photo)

0102_05__0698.jpg

Best in Show--Black & White category (John's Photo)

WS2_2171bw.jpg

First Place--Macro / Close-up category (John's photo)

_P9H0019_BW.jpg

First Place--Sports category (John's photo)

WS1_1835sfx.jpg

Honorable Mention--Macro / Close-up category (Kel's photo)

WS2_1538-1sfx.jpg

Honorable Mention--Black & White category (Kel's photo)

IMG_8067_BW.jpg

So umm yeah....we pretty much ran the entire competition. The prints will go on display in the corporate headquarters as well as digital versions going up on the corporate intranet website homepage, and then the prints will eventually go on display in the Hyatt (I think it's the Hyatt...either that or the Hilton) downtown.

And as if that weren't enough, I also got my first credited periodical publication yesterday as well! http://www.nuvo.net/articles/young,_talented_and_hustling/ The photo credit isn't on the website photo, but it is in the paper itself; I just haven't had time to get it scanned yet.

So yesterday was a pretty damn fine day for our photography!! :D

Congrats John (and to Kel as well)...these are fantastic shots and you deserve the accolades. I, for one, have definitely seen an improvement in your photography over the last few years. You will be rich and famous before you know it.

Congrats! May this just be the beginning!! :thumbsup:

Congratulations, that is fantastic. Your shots are great! :D

I love the Grandmother and Grandson photo of them dancing. That photo is wonderful.

Congrats, John! That truly is wonderful! I'm sure you and Kel are feeling very gratified at the moment. :thumbsup:

I don't know your work yet, being a newbie to the board, but your shots are VERY cool - I also love the grandmother/grandson shot and the bride shot is stunning - I love that type of work though so I'm biased! :) Congrats and I hope to learn from pros like yourself in the future!

Most reactions

Back