Welcome to Velvia Vision

skylark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A still life in Velvia 100F.
comments welcome as I want to develop my still life work.

OK, any advice on how to get the contrast up ? I have used a reflector and tried to keep the scales in shadow so what could I do differently ?

Cheers CJB

velvia 50 has more contrast then the velvia 100 i believe

It looks over exposed. However, the scales are already lost in shadow. Slide film just does not have the latitude for both the black scales and sugar bag. It may have lost some contrast in the scan stage as well.

Since you have the image in a digital file, adding contrast should be easy with any image software.

Big Mike said:
It looks over exposed. However, the scales are already lost in shadow. Slide film just does not have the latitude for both the black scales and sugar bag. It may have lost some contrast in the scan stage as well.
I actually cut the contrast from the scanned slide because of the scales vs bag

Big Mike said:
Since you have the image in a digital file, adding contrast should be easy with any image software.

But the digital file is merely a way of getting it into the public domain (web) I wnt to take the photograph so that the sliode looks good - digital manipulatiion is not something I want to do !

Why use velvia for a still life without much color anyway? Velvia is best suited for colorful, saturated landscapes rather than duller, indoor subjects. I think negative film is better suited for a contrasty situation like this one, with the white sugar bag and the dark scales.

velvia is balanced for daylight, so any artificial light you use is not going to mimic that. to me, the picture looks like it just needs more light in general.
if your going to shoot color film in a studio, you will get the best results with film balanced for studio lights, or using the proper filters.

Unimaxium said:
Why use velvia for a still life without much color anyway?

Your point is valid, I just wanted to see how it would look. From my viewpoint one of the attractions of film is the ability to try different emulsions in different circumstances.
I may never shoot a scene like this with velvia again but it has been something a little different. After all if I wanted real latitude to cope with the contrast and wanted a still life image only I could have used MF monochrome.

Thanks for the critique

Most reactions

Back