Well here goes! C&C please!

Nickie1358

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK! After a few days of messing around with my my first dslr camera.. I have a few shots I could use some opinions/advice on! I am not completely disappointed in myself seeing as, even if every image is horrible, I am learning my camera, which of course is step 1 to photography! I really have NO idea what settings the camera was on for any of these pictures (like I said, playing with my camera was my only goal at the time). One may even be auto mode :/. Once I feel comfortable with the camera, I will study and work on exposure. The only thing I did is crop a couple of the pictures. You have to start somewhere I guess, and I feel like some genuine opinions will help! :) Dont take it easy on me or you aren't helping me! Thanks! :)

1. Interesting and aggravating fact about this picture.. about 5 seconds after taking it.. an alligator swam out of it and I missed the shot because my daughter started screaming and running away :/ lol.. it was pretty cool though..
Firstphotos050.jpg

Firstphotos018_crop.jpg

3. This one was not automatic mode, I remember messing with the settings. I had about 10 of the same picture, but this was definitely my best!

Firstphotos016.jpg

4. This is the picture I think is guilty of being in automatic mode but I truly can't remember :/

Firstphotos001_crop.jpg

Last edited:
They all seem pretty generic and common.. You'll see that a lot of people take shots like these when they first get a camera (including me). However, #2 really catches my attention more than the rest and I like it a lot except for the fact that the light pole cuts it straight down the middle. Its a major distraction. Without that light post, this could have been a desktop background worthy shot.

I think the biggest thing you can do to improve is to not just take pictures when you see something cool, but to go to some crazy new unheard of angle that will make average people cringe at the strangeness. Ordinary pictures aren't extraordinary. Ever. Strange pictures, however, can be.

Step 1 is figuring out what to take a picture of that will be interesting
Step 2 is finding the most creative and different way of taking it
Step 3 is the easy part.. Getting the exposure/color correct.

The exposure and color are necessary for a good photo. But a good photo can't exist without a creative take on it. Make sense?

Anyways, best of luck :)

For me, #4 is the most interesting of the 4. The diagonal lines, particularly the long near horizontal lines, give it a sense of motion.

The photo is organized in a way that knowingly or unknowingly applies the rule of thirds, which always helps to add a bit of tension and drama to a rectangular shaped photo.

The bit of texture on the wall makes a nice gradient from side to side.

For me, #4 is the most interesting of the 4. The diagonal lines, particularly the long near horizontal lines, give it a sense of motion.

The photo is organized in a way that knowingly or unknowingly applies the rule of thirds, which always helps to add a bit of tension and drama to a rectangular shaped photo.

The bit of texture on the wall makes a nice gradient from side to side.

I do agree that the texture makes this interesting. When I first responded, I was on my phone and couldnt see all of the details, but yeah the texture of the wall is pretty cool.

HOWEVER, i will always have something to say about everything! I would increase your f-stop number (which means a smaller sized aperture), because if this had a little more DoF (Depth of Field) it would be better. What this means is that the texture wouldnt fade into a blur behind the lamp. I know that it isnt always possible indoors, but if its possible this photo would be a lot more interesting!

EDIT: I looked at the EXIF Data, this is what I got:

Nikon D5100
f/4.0
1/60th sec
ISO 800
24 mm

So, it would probably be hard to change any settings to allow for a larger f/stop number.. but if you had a tripod and took this from that, you could do basically what ever you want with it.

Last edited:
I agree. I like #4 the best for reasons explained above. For the most part pretty, generic snapshot images to start, but like me. The best advice I got was to stop taking photos of close ups, trying to be original, creative etc to start with and just focus on making completely technically correct images. But just to start! Kind of the same thought that you need to learn to add before you can attempt algebra. Learn what the rules are and then you get to learn to break them! Landscapes were a great place to start for me personally.

Some great resources

31 Days to a Better Photo | The Complete Index

10 Top Photography Composition Rules | Photography Mad

Nickie1358, although I do not have a Nikon when you review your photos on the LCD you should be able to find an "info mode" that will show you the camera settings for the photo you are looking at.

BTW I think your images show you have a creative eye. You are off to a good start with composition keeping your subjects out of the middle.
Next, make the effort to learn how different setting of your camera will have different effects on your images. For example set up your camera on a tripod or supported in away where you will be focused on the same subject for a variety of different exposures. Start in Aperture Priority (AV), start with f/16 and open each sequence on down to the lowest f/stop. Then study the results. Watch the background o see the change in its focus. Focus on the same subject at least 5 feet away with the same background anywhere from 2' to infinity. Take the same picture just changing the aperture each time. Have fun!

Just thought of a project for you. have you daughter start at about 20 yds away and run towards you. Take her picture at different aperture settings to note the differences. Have her spin around in a circle and take her picture using different shutter speeds. Have her poise while holding her favorite whatever. Tell her you are just trying to find out how your camera works and as a bonus you might get some memorable shots that you can both enjoy.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

Most reactions

Back