Well here goes.. my first picture thread C+C

Ron: thanks for the tip, I will remember that for later on..
myfoto: the new baby is a D70s.. I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all, there's so much to it. It will take me a bit since I'm such a noob, with time and patience from you guys :wink: I may become 1/4 photographer.
I'm starting by reading the manual over and learning TONS of things on here and how to apply technique. Then practice, practice, practice!

bigtwinky: I think some on the forum mentioned the Bryan Peterson book in another thread, I think I will be trying to get my hands on it. In the meantime I did get my hands on a dvd from Nikon on lighting and flash, it's mainly to show up their products, but there is some very good information for a noob.

Amazon has the books mentioned, and at a very good price.

I am not paid by Amazon or an employee either....

looks like you went for a bit of a hike =)

With the pics? If so, yes.. The allegheny wasn't too much of a hike. Robert Treman, that trail is 2 miles each way and 1 mile up..
NYC we were there for 5 days we walked about 30miles the whole time. Most of the pics though were from the one day of times square to central park then to dinner and back to times square. Probably about 5miles or so that day...
We should be going back to Robert Treman this year, I hope to get better pictures with my learned techniques this time around... along with Allegheny too. :)

I think the community has provided good feedback concerning the focus and exposure of some of the images...With that said, I really liked the composition of building shots "#1+2" and #8. In #8 I like how it looks like the buildings are getting smaller and that it has a somewhat abstract feel it. Exposure looks pretty good too. #1+2 was shot from a very interesting perspective, though I think the shot would've looked great if there was something more going on. Perhaps some clouds in the sky for some texture. Overall good first attempt! Keep all the advice given by the community in mind and keep shooting!

best wishes

Javier

myfoto: the new baby is a D70s.. I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all, there's so much to it..

Nice, you should love it! A couple sites have books you might consider if the manual and your own learning of your equipment need a nudge. I got both of these when I bought a D80 a while back:
Complete Nikon D70 Guide by Thom Hogan
Shortcourses-Nikon D70 and D70s Photography

They were both pretty helpful for me.
I started a new series on exposure on my site, I'm hoping it's a help to folks like yourself just starting out with a DSLR. If you should follow along, I would love feedback to know if it was indeed helpful.

Have fun with your new camera!

Nice, you should love it! A couple sites have books you might consider if the manual and your own learning of your equipment need a nudge. I got both of these when I bought a D80 a while back:
Complete Nikon D70 Guide by Thom Hogan
Shortcourses-Nikon D70 and D70s Photography

They were both pretty helpful for me.
I started a new series on exposure on my site, I'm hoping it's a help to folks like yourself just starting out with a DSLR. If you should follow along, I would love feedback to know if it was indeed helpful.

Have fun with your new camera!

I will take a look around. Thank you! I have started to look at your site also. You do explain things very well. I think personally, I have the creativity I just need to learn the specific techniques that come to taking a good photo.. I will let you know as I read your blogs more and start following how its going. So far what I've read has been very informative and easy to understand :) Thank you!

One piece of advice I would give would be to take fewer photos. And those which you do take, take your time with. Really think critically about your composition and exposure. Always try and make each photo as good as you possibly can in any given situation. I find it much more satisfying to get one really great shot from a shoot than a dozen or so mediocre ones. And otherwise just give yourself some time to get used to your camera and everything will eventually fall into place; it usually does.

The fact you said PS is great. I really like #4. I see where you are coimg from as well with your different angles or positions. I also have to say the picture that was editing is also very cool
jorge

#1 waterfall with berry bush in foreground, one of the best here IMO, if you drug the shutter a bit more to soften the water you'd have an excellent image
#4 your serene picture is my other "top pick" however the water fall highlights are blown out

Architectural photogrpahy really does nothing for me, unless is something really unique so I wont comment beyond your 1st two in your city collection. I like what you did in those images, it added a "little something" more than "here's a building" typicial uninteresting architectural photography.

All your others in your "nature collection" have some things in common that could be worked on....out of focus, distracting elements in front of whats obviously the main subject/ subject composition, underexposed in some- over exposed areas in others. Some of the issues could be resolved in PP but not all, get some more trigger time thinking about all those things and your photos will evolve, dont be afraid to take multiple shots of the same scene adjusting settings if your not dead certain "you got it", there's often something you can't see on the LCD thats not right. However creating a compelling frame with good composition wont be corrected with settings, thats up to you and your eye; its set apart the difference from the soccer mom "I was here" photos and the "keepers" you'd like. It all comes with you keeping on shooting, educating yourself, reasearching ect ect...keep at it.

One piece of advice I would give would be to take fewer photos. And those which you do take, take your time with. Really think critically about your composition and exposure. Always try and make each photo as good as you possibly can in any given situation. I find it much more satisfying to get one really great shot from a shoot than a dozen or so mediocre ones. And otherwise just give yourself some time to get used to your camera and everything will eventually fall into place; it usually does.

I understand what you mean. The general vibe I got from most people was to slow down and take time. I think in the future when I'm with people I'm just gonna have to make them wait! :)

myvinyl333 said:
The fact you said PS is great. I really like #4. I see where you are coimg from as well with your different angles or positions. I also have to say the picture that was editing is also very cool

thank you very much for that! The edited shot really showed me the benefit to using photo processing. Although, I still need to try to make my pics as good as I can before processing.. ;)

Shocknawe: Thank you for that also! I will definitely keep your tips in mind for future photos.
After my trip to NYC I realized how much I do LOVE architectural.. but not the normal angle. To me a lot of buildings can have the same angles as natural settings, the same lines? It shows me how much there is in common.. It seems odd, but that's the way I see it... Hard to explain. But, I found that I liked it almost as much as taking a trail and getting some neat scenery pictures..

Most reactions

Back