Well I guess I'll be buying my cameras off the internet from now on

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Today I went out to pu[SIZE=-1]rchase a new D-sl[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r and came home with out one. I went to walma[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rt and they had just sold the[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]re last [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rebel XT (all I can affo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rd) so then I went the ci[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rcut city and the chick the[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]re t[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ried to sell a Long zoom Came[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ra and when I told I wanted a sl[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r she T[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ried to tell me how the[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]re just a hastle and how this (inse[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rt long zoom came[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ra name he[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]re) could do eve[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ry thing That a sl[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r could do but I would have to do as much. I went on to explane to he[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r how I own 2 film sl[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r's and how I had a lens fo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r the came[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ra (told he[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r it was a 28-50mm lens) and she said that blank Came[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ra had alot mo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]re zoom than that any ways I was sick of he[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r so I left and went to a local shop and this guy was saying how a digital sl[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r would be to much fo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r me and I should just get a Point and shoot to sta[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rt out with. Bu that time I was sick of being told to buy fixed lens came[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ras and didn't even bothe[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r telling him what I own and walked out. F[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rom now on I'm just going to stick to buying things off the inte[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rnet so people can't tell me what I want. Any one else have any sto[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ries of pu[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]rchasing came[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ras?[/SIZE]

Yep I buy them from photostores which deal with high volumes of professional gear and thus don't question their customers. I would have probably done the same as you in your situation.

I understand what walmart was trying. They just wanted a sale. But the guy at the local store did he have an SLR? If so he's just a bad salesman. He shouldn't be questioning you.

Personally, I would buy local if they price-matched the larger online retailers. The thing is I just don't understand why they refuse to price-match when I'm standing right there, cash in hand and all they tell me is the online boys have an advantage. I'm standing there thinkin' "ok on this sell their profit margin would be smaller but instead they rather have the item sit on their shelf for another two months.", it's the whackiest way to run a business to me. :confused:

But really you shouldn't feel bad; I pre-ordered a printer online from CompUSA and the guy working the printer/photo area couldn't find the printer even though I told him three times "it's over there w/the photo printers." And then when he did listen he walked right past it! ugh:banghead: get me outta here!

have a good one
3Eo

I too found a long time ago the online is where it's at. B&H, Adorama and Calumet. We have a small pro store near us, I go there when I need it NOW. Like the time I dropped my SB-80DX. Needed one that evening and got a new SB-800. They don't price match so that's all the business they get from me. If you have got to go to the idiot store, wear a rig on your shoulder, it keeps the riff-raff down.

Personally, I would buy local if they price-matched the larger online retailers. The thing is I just don't understand why they refuse to price-match when I'm standing right there, cash in hand and all they tell me is the online boys have an advantage. I'm standing there thinkin' "ok on this sell their profit margin would be smaller but instead they rather have the item sit on their shelf for another two months.", it's the whackiest way to run a business to me. :confused:

But really you shouldn't feel bad; I pre-ordered a printer online from CompUSA and the guy working the printer/photo area couldn't find the printer even though I told him three times "it's over there w/the photo printers." And then when he did listen he walked right past it! ugh:banghead: get me outta here!

have a good one
3Eo

Having dealt with a very good photography shop for 30 years I can tell you why they can't price match. Often, even though it is not supposed to be this way, the cost for the photography shop is the same and I have even seen it be a few dollars higher than some of the reputable on line stores. I know this for a fact as I help out the owner from time to time so I have seen the books and what they pay. Have even verified this on orders from some of the big companies when we place orders. The average profit margin for a photography shop for something like the 24-70 f2.8 L from Canon is $75.00 if they sell it at the recommended price. Not much profit margin on a high priced item like that. The owner will come as close as he can to the online prices, with shipping included, and still be able to pay the employees and keep the lights on. If he can come within 10% of the advertised price at one of the reputable online prices I buy there. The service they provide is never appreciated until they are no longer there to ask.

Having dealt with a very good photography shop for 30 years I can tell you why they can't price match. Often, even though it is not supposed to be this way, the cost for the photography shop is the same and I have even seen it be a few dollars higher than some of the reputable on line stores. I know this for a fact as I help out the owner from time to time so I have seen the books and what they pay. Have even verified this on orders from some of the big companies when we place orders. The average profit margin for a photography shop for something like the 24-70 f2.8 L from Canon is $75.00 if they sell it at the recommended price. Not much profit margin on a high priced item like that. The owner will come as close as he can to the online prices, with shipping included, and still be able to pay the employees and keep the lights on. If he can come within 10% of the advertised price at one of the reputable online prices I buy there. The service they provide is never appreciated until they are no longer there to ask.
Amen. Most people don't think about how retail works, they just want their lowest price. But then all of the sudden all that's left standing is Wal-Mart, and all you get is a dimwit making recommendations about photo equipment. Tomorrow he'll be over in lawn-mowers, with the same skill set.

People, support your photo store. This isn't about charity. If you support specialized businesses you can actually get quality advice and service.

Camera stores don't earn money on cameras, it barely covers the cost of sales, rent, etc. They earn money on smaller items such as camera straps and memory cards, or disposables like paper and ink.

BUY FROM A CAMERA STORE. And PLEASE don't sing me a self-righteous song about being poor, the 5% difference is a wise investment in the future of your hobby.

For those of you living far away from a photo store, buy from a good online photo retailer.

BUY FROM A CAMERA STORE. And PLEASE don't sing me a self-righteous song about being poor, the 5% difference is a wise investment in the future of your hobby.

Most of my equipment, which is quite alot, has been bought online at one of my favourite online shops. Why? because most people at the local high street (photography) shops treated my as if I was an idiot. I got the following:

- I was told rubbish since they wanted to sell something I did not want to buy. (Plain lies that is ...)

- I was told rubbish because the salesperson was totally unqualified ( ...)

- I was treated arrogantly and partially even ignored since they thought I was not going to spend a lot of money. (Quite rude I'd say.)

I am willing to pay more at a local shop, if I get good advice and service there. I am also willing to pay more if I get things instantly instead of waiting a couple of days.

However recent experiences (several local shops on several occasions) made me give up on local shops, my recent dSLR, 3 expensive lenses, several filters and various gear was hence bought online or directly at the manufacturer.

The only shop where I still go to from time to time, where people are friendly and qualified, is the local Calumet. This shop is the only survivor in my list.

Well, yeah, no arguing with that. There are definitely some idiotic photoshops out there.

In Los Angeles we have Samy's and Bel-Air. Going to a chain like Ritz Camera is sad though, those guys are so incentivized by the manufacturers that they're incapable of giving good advice.

Bah, what can ya' do.

A few days ago, I went to my local 'used camera shop'. It's just a little old shop run by a little old man. His prices on most stuff is pretty high but I like to support the shop. I bought a monopod and I was quite pleased to find a 77mm Circular Polarizer of only $40.

On another note, I was pleasantly surprised when I checked my mail yesterday. There was a flyer for Vistek, which is a large camera shop with stores in large cities across Canada...well, now they have one in Edmonton as well. :thumbup:

I don't doubt that a lot of small local camera shops pay more for their equipment. Large stores like Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and online merchants like Amazon wield the power to say you can either give us your stuff to sell cheaper or we won't sell it.

Just think if Wal-Mart says to Canon, "You need to sell us stuff at a 5% discount or we won't sell your product" and Canon says nope. Wal-Mart then says the same thing to Nikon and if they say, "Yes" then you have Wal-Mart being an exclusive Nikon dealer.

I'm not even sure if Wal-Mart sells dSLR's because I don't shop there but this was just an example of the power that a large retailer like that wields. I work in the produce industry and Wal-Mart negotiates the prices for apples before the harvest season even starts. They pick what they want to pay essentially because we can't afford to not have their business.

I bought probably bought 75% of my gear from B&H, I like being able to call them up and have someone to talk to about what I'm thinking about getting and having immediate knowledgeable answers. Plus their prices are near, if not the best around.

I used to like buying local...the local chain store has a Canadian price match policy...but even still, the prices for most anything is at least 10% higher, usually more, than what it costs in the US. The Canadian dollar is just about on par with the US dollar, as opposed to being near $0.70 just a few years ago. Because of this, it's much cheaper for me to order from the US...and I have spent quite a bit in the last few months.

with reading all these stories and comments it seems that alot of the sales people at the average camera store, not every single one but the majority, don't quite have the qualifications, i called my local camera store to see if they had any 120 film, the guy on the other end had no clue what i was asking, so i just hung up, and when i go into a store and i ask to see something or to get someone to help me seems quite a task since im only 16 and they think i wont buy anything, then i say ok ill be back, and i bought a camera and lens, so i have had my share of frustrations at stores, but to shop online for me is a bit of a mental hurlde becasue i like to have the item when i pay for , like i pay for it and its in my hand, and then theres shipping and borders so i think even though some stores are frustrating i will shop in person rather than online

since im only 16 and they think i wont buy anything,

I am 35 and it still happens to me ;) I just forget to shave, wear my old hiking fleece and some comfty run down (literally) sneakers ... and they just ignore me ;) ... once they even told me they could probably not help me and turned away!!

Walmart sells dSLRS, but not the high end ones. Definitely Canon Rebels, and they carry the D40's and the D80 as well.

The only camera shops in my area are Ritz - and I'd just as soon buy online.

As for them pushing one camera over another, they might not have had the one you wanted, and simply was trying to deflect that fact into a "this one is better". Bad form either way.

I'm actually glad to hear that others are having the same rotten experiences as I am. I thought it was just me. :D I feel like I get stereo-typed as a "snapshooter with an expensive camera" as soon as I walk in the door. Yes, I have a D50, not a D80 or D200; but I know how to use it!

As much as I want to support my local camera shop, I get the heebie-jeebies every time I go in there. The salespeople are generally rude and incredibly condescending. When I was shopping for my flash, the guy wouldn't even get the SB-600 or SB-800 out of the display case. He kept saying "The SB-400 is much more flash than you will ever need.". I'm not sure why he thought that; since all he knew was that I had a Nikon camera and do more people photos than anything else. I was prepared to spend $300+ for the SB-800, but he wouldn't even show it to me. He lost that sale... :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back