Well, it all depends ...

Torus34

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let me start by saying I'm super-pleased to see that the digital vs. film wars are over and peace reigns once more. Thank goodness! I no longer feel guilty toward my 'Tribe' when toting either type of gear. This is a very good thing indeed.

That said, I'd like to note what is, perhaps, a holdover from those unfortunate days.

Many different techniques have been used in film photography to gain specific effects: textured paper, solarization, toning, selective blurring, IR spectrum film, filters, pattern overlays and litho are but a few.

On the digital side, there are also a huge number of techniques available. Many of them can be subsummed under the heading 'Photoshop(r).'

Here it comes:

Why do we so rarely see a picture made with traditional techniques critiqued as 'overtextured' or 'over-toned' while we run into 'over-shopped' time and again? Are we seeing a double standard?

Or does it all depend ...

There is a misconception that Photoshopping is easy. Push a few buttons, run an action, scrub the mouse around the desk a few times, and voilà. The film equivalent is considered hard work and high art, pursued alone amongst caustic chemicals in pursuit of creative expression.

Indeed. The automated actions that can be bought online is the technical equivalent of hiring someone to come to your dark room and get a particular effect for you. Photoshopping properly is not easy and there is a lot to learn.

Most reactions

Back