Well that didn't take that long. Sigma 150-500 focusing FUBARED

benhasajeep

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
:thumbdown:

Well got up early today to take some sunrise pics down at the coast. Took a good selection of lenses with me. Once it got bright enough I pulled out my new Sigma 150-500 OS and started clicking away. After about 20 min the focusing started to get erratic. Would barely focus at all. Always hunting. I knew about the recall Simga has, but this lens serial number is much higher than their recall. Well guess what, they need to expand their recall list!!! This lens has the same problems as the recalled lenses. It worked a total of about 50 min before it started showing the fault. This was only the 2nd time I had it out. :grumpy: And of course its now too late for me to send it in for a refund (had it 62 days). It will have to go to Sigma. :(

And yes I tried different bodies (3). And just got home and tried it again. Same problem, its hunting, cycling back and forth even though what I am focusing should focus on easily. Not happy at all. :meh:

Last edited:
Well that's a bit of a bummer.

INB4 someone chimes in with "third party brands" blah blah

The good news, Sigma has great customer service and you're under warranty. The lens will come back sharper and better than ever.

Any lens can have problems, it's not a 3rd party vs OEM issue.

The good news, Sigma has great customer service and you're under warranty. The lens will come back sharper and better than ever.

Any lens can have problems, it's not a 3rd party vs OEM issue.

Well I am starting to get a little timid with Sigma. I had a 170-500 about 10 years ago. I sold it for a loss due to its issues that Sigma couldn't correct (lens creep, fixed, came back, fixed, creep starting to come back, sold it). And a 28-70 f/2.8 in Canon mount that kept having the error problem intermittently. So far I am 0 for 3 with Sigma products. :( As a comparison out of at least 40 Nikon products (lens, body, or flashes). I have only had to send 1 thing to them, and it was my fault (drop).

Oh, well. We will see what happens. Of course they are closed for the new years. So will not be able to do anything till after the new years.

I recently had to send my Nikon 24-70 back to Nikon for repair, so indeed, it's NOT just Sigma, or third-party products. I would contact your vendor about the refund though, I know "my" camera store would certainly be willing to bend the rules by a day or two.

I recently had to send my Nikon 24-70 back to Nikon for repair, so indeed, it's NOT just Sigma, or third-party products. I would contact your vendor about the refund though, I know "my" camera store would certainly be willing to bend the rules by a day or two.

Refund is definately out. Bought it from Dell with one of their coupon deals. My only local camera shop doens't even deal nor will consider Sigma. I emailed Sigma's Customer Service but know I will not hear anything back till next week. Hopefully this will be one of the cases where they take the extra and fine tune the lens before they ship it back.

I had 2 of that lens, both worked just fine for 2 years and they got a lot of use. Those were the only 3rd party lenses I have ever owned. For the $999 they cost they are a great value IMO, even if a warranty repair is required.

Consumer electronics are most apt to fail when still fairly new, regardless what company made them.

You have the option of replacing it with a $6400 Nikon 200-400 mm f/4. ;)

You have the option of replacing it with a $6400 Nikon 200-400 mm f/4. ;)

If I could justify a 200-400 Nikon I would have it right now. :sexywink: But for my current use, its not in the plans. I think a 600 f/4.0 would be on the list first though. :p

Most reactions

Back