Welp...Went to the dark side.

Soulz3urn3lack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Bought a Nikon just now. D7000 refurb from camedia.

Always been a Canon fan and owned a 60d when it was first released. I actually was planning on buying another one BUT came across some extremely positive reviews of the D7000. I'm not one to hold any type of fanboyism when I know a product is superior.

Recently I delved into the world of mirrorless but just couldn't get into it.

Anyways, one question... What would be an upgrade from the kit (Next best possible step) lens for under or around 500$?? Used or new doesn't matter. Also any style of shooting lens (A good prime for example)??? I'm not a Nikon person so just looking for advice.

Thank yaaaaa1!!!!!! :thumbup::p

Last edited:
"Like" this if you want to comment on the OP's "went to the dark side" statement, but just dont feel up to do that right now.

Sorry OP, my camera just has auto and the little take the picture button, so I cant help ya on a lens kit.

Yeah a bit cliche on my part lol.

Anyone with some input?

35mm f/1.8 G.
50mm f/1.8 G.
85mm f/1.8 G.
See the pattern??? All new designs. all affordable. All pretty sharp. Their optics get better and better as the focal lengths get longer. All have same family design, same color rendering. All have the same cosmetics. All are built to offer good value and good optics at a fair price.

And if you ever switch to FX, you only have to replace the 35mm f/1.8 with the 28 f/1.8 and still have a complete (albeit now a lot more wide) set of glass. :D

I'm assuming you have the 18-105? If you want OEM I'd say the 16-85 DX or maybe even the the new 24-85 VR FX-DX.

I got the 85 1.8 D for 350.00 its not the newer one but the metal feel feels good on my d90 and its razor sharp. The G series is tempting but for 350, yeah I'm quite happy with it.

35mm f/1.8 G.
50mm f/1.8 G.
85mm f/1.8 G.
See the pattern??? All new designs. all affordable. All pretty sharp. Their optics get better and better as the focal lengths get longer. All have same family design, same color rendering. All have the same cosmetics. All are built to offer good value and good optics at a fair price.

He could also get these instead:
50mm f/1.8 D
85mm f/1.8 D

Considering he's getting a D7000, he can get some the older lens that are really good.

Nikon 17-55 F2.8G (used) for around $800.00-$900.00 if you play your cards right. It's most spectacular!!!

The problem I have with Nikon cameras - is their lens mounts seem so confusing. With Canon - its 2 lens mounts.. from what I read on lenses on nikons, theres like 1200000. I don't have any answers to this question you asked because of that factor.

The problem I have with Nikon cameras - is their lens mounts seem so confusing. With Canon - its 2 lens mounts.. from what I read on lenses on nikons, theres like 1200000. I don't have any answers to this question you asked because of that factor.

What? How can Nikon's mounts be confusing? Nikon has three mounts as far as I know, the S-mount, F-mount, and Nikon 1 mount. The F-mount has been around for their dslrs since 1959. That leave more lens to use if you want to use the older ones and leaving less confusion. The Canon camera's have about 5 different mounts.

What? How can Nikon's mounts be confusing? Nikon has three mounts as far as I know, the S-mount, F-mount, and Nikon 1 mount. The F-mount has been around for their dslrs since 1959. That leave more lens to use if you want to use the older ones and leaving less confusion. The Canon camera's have about 5 different mounts.

All I know of is the EF and EF-S mounts for canon... maybe I'm the one who should be scared then.. hahaha. I always just read stuff on nikons like "oh the Z an N, and D wont work on your body but the G will" so I get confused. I admitted I know very little of nikon.. haha.

All I know of is the EF and EF-S mounts for canon... maybe I'm the one who should be scared then.. hahaha. I always just read stuff on nikons like "oh the Z an N, and D wont work on your body but the G will" so I get confused. I admitted I know very little of nikon.. haha.

It's not that difficult to understand. All you need todo is a little research on the gear your looking at, which you should be doing anyways, so you know what your getting and will be happy with it and know what you can get for it.

ceejtank said:

Those aren't the mounts, those refer to the lenses themselves and whether or not they have the ability to autofocus on certain camera models. F is the only current DSLR mount. All high end Nikon's will focus with G and D lenses. Some entry level Nikon's will not focus with D lenses (which are older technology... But many still excellent!)

Lem

Most reactions

New Topics

Back