Welp...Went to the dark side.

FYI, you won't have to worry with a 7000. They will focus both styles.

Oh, and in response to your original question, my favourite all time DX lens that got a ton of use on my 7000 when I had it was the 16-85mm VR DX.

Unbelievable ratio of usable shots, and my canon friends all used to ask what lens I was using because they thought it was great! :)

Get it used. It's overpriced new.

Lem

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. What's the big difference between D and G? Is it the auto focus motor or is it a combination of things?

In general:

D glass has an aperture ring.
G glass has no aperture ring - aperture must be controlled by the body.

Also, G glass has an AF motor in the lens (if its also AF-s). D glass uses the screw drive AF motor in the bodies of cameras from the D90 up.
The man who shall remain nameless has a nice lens compatibility page that explains the alphabet soup.

There are other differences between D and G, but that's the general idea - there may be exceptions.

Anyways, one question... What would be an upgrade from the kit (Next best possible step) lens for under or around 500$?? Used or new doesn't matter. Also any style of shooting lens (A good prime for example)??? I'm not a Nikon person so just looking for advice.

Thank yaaaaa1!!!!!! :thumbup::p

Welcome to the "Dark Side"! :evil:

The single best $500 I've spent on anything photography related was my 85mm f/1.8G.

On your D7000, it will act like a 128mm prime lens. That focal lens is still wonderful for headshots and shoulders up portraits, but it will be too long for street or general photography uses.

The other benefit is that it's future-proof. When you upgrade to FX, the 85 1.8G gets even better.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
In general:

D glass has an aperture ring.
G glass has no aperture ring - aperture must be controlled by the body.

Also, G glass has an AF motor in the lens (if its also AF-s). D glass uses the screw drive AF motor in the bodies of cameras from the D90 up.
The man who shall remain nameless has a nice lens compatibility page that explains the alphabet soup.

There are other differences between D and G, but that's the general idea - there may be exceptions.

Thanks! I was just curious if the cost justified going to a G since I have an internal focus motor.

Anyways, one question... What would be an upgrade from the kit (Next best possible step) lens for under or around 500$?? Used or new doesn't matter. Also any style of shooting lens (A good prime for example)??? I'm not a Nikon person so just looking for advice.

Thank yaaaaa1!!!!!! :thumbup::p

Welcome to the "Dark Side"! :evil:

The single best $500 I've spent on anything photography related was my 85mm f/1.8G.

On your D7000, it will act like a 128mm prime lens. That focal lens is still wonderful for headshots and shoulders up portraits, but it will be too long for street or general photography uses.

The other benefit is that it's future-proof. When you upgrade to FX, the 85 1.8G gets even better.

I think I plan on just getting the 35 and 50 then For Christmas get the 85. So I'll have a good wide range on top of my kit.

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back