Went to see ansel adam's display today

just x joey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
joeydsmith.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
it was awesome, very inspiring. loved his "f/64 club" shots, so much detail! it was at the corcoran art gallery in DC. anyone ever seen his work in person?

His art was displayed her in Rochester back in August but I didn't get to go see it.

I saw the Adams exhibit at the Bellagio Gallery in Las Vegas. Nice thing about it was me and wife only shared the gallery with about 5 other people. I found the pictures to be very interesting but the historical part about his travels and life were actually better for me. They had a couple of his cameras and some other gear also.

Hey, good for you! Isn't he great? :D I saw a full-blown exhibit of AA's work at the High Museum in Atlanta some time back. It was the first time I actually understood what all the fuss was about. :lol: I walked out of that exhibit feeling enlightened as well as humbled.

An amazing body of work, and his skill as a printmaker is awe-inspiring. His prints glitter and glow in person - something that can not transmit well over to the pages of photography books. I also enjoyed seeing the same negatives printed different ways, sometimes decades apart from each other, and hanging side by side with explanations. Fascinating stuff.

Any time you get a chance to go see an AA exhibit, don't hesitate - just do it! :thumbup:

sound slike yours was better then mine haha. but i get to see anne libowitz in a few weeks, and since i paid to see ansel adams, i got a free voucher to see anne lebowitz :)

My photography instructor, Al Belson, was friends with Ansel and had a lot of his pictures in his studio. The cool thing is that Al knew how all the prints were made so he would go to a picture and say, "The moon was burned for 15 minutes, the river was a 5 minute dodge," and so on for all the parts of the prints. It was very educational.

What I learned is that the old master photographers weren't great photographers, they were great darkroom techs. Remember, there were no light meters in the early days, so it was just guessing and experience that determined a picture's exposure. It wasn't uncommon for Ansel to spend one to one and a half hours making a print.

Have Fun,
Jeff

yes , many times.

guessing and experience are miles apart.

Understanding techincal aspects only enhance one's ability to create a vision.

Look at the contact sheets of the Master's and you will discover that it is a combination of understanding compostion and technical skills that bring those wonderful images to life.

I agree with ann. No matter what you think of St Ansel's images, there is no doubt that he knew a thing or two about the technical aspects of all the stages of photography, including how to measure light and then expose a piece of film to get the exact results he wanted. He began cooking up the infernal Zone System with Fred Archer in 1940.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back