Were These Done Simply With A Slow Shutter?

andytakeone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a couple street photographs apparently taken by a young Stanley Kubrick.
This might be a basic question, but was the blurred motion in these photographs simply done by a slow shutter?

I'd imagine he didn't have a tripod on him in these cases so I would think he would run into problems taking slow shutter handheld photos. Doesn't seem to be the case.

Here's one where a woman's face is blurred from the movement of her head:

http://thedigitalvisual.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/kubrick_photo_03-e1335649446501.jpg

People going up escalators are blurred:

http://1.mshcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Kubrick-11.jpg

Thanks.

Yep.... slow shutter speed. But not too slow that non-moving objects are not blurred due to camera movement.

I see. You would think the shutter speed would have to be pretty slow for a handheld to get that blur on the slow moving escalators.
What do you reckon the speed was at?

1/25?

It is due to him using slow film but probably the fastest you could get at the time, shutter speed was probably 1/60, I can go as slow as 1/20 one a stationery subject with my Leica rangefinder

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

The shutter speed that can be handheld is dependant on focal length & technique (& Luck). I've managed a few sharp shots at 1/6s with an UWA.

Looking at the elevator shot the movement blur is hardly extreme, I'd certainly expect hand holdable speeds with a moderate lens to be adequate for it.

I see. You would think the shutter speed would have to be pretty slow for a handheld to get that blur on the slow moving escalators.
What do you reckon the speed was at?

1/25?

That image has the complete EXIF info in it.
It was 1/60s.

For me, it proves the photographer doesn't have to have a shot tack sharp to create a wonderful photo.

2nd photo
Artist: Museum of the City of new York
Address: 1220 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York, 10029, USA
Camera: Hasselblad H4D-50MS
Exposure: 1/60 sec, f/11, ISO 50

The escalator was moving so yeah, there's going to be some blur, unless you were shooting with high speed film and a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the movement. In the other one maybe the woman turned to look at the paper just when the photo was taken so there was some movement blur.

I think I read that Kubrick was only 17 when he was hired by Look Magazine.
That's pretty impressive.

He was hired as an an apprentice photographer in 1946.
His first story was published in Look April 14, 1946 - "A Short Story from a Movie Balcony" .
His 18th birthday came later that year - July 26, 1946.

That image has the complete EXIF info in it.
It was 1/60s.

The EXIF doesn't relate to the original photo, but the copy made by the Museum of New York in 2012.
Film cameras tend to be somewhat limited in their EXIF files :)
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to figure that out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back