We're watching you

Desi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was at the beach this weekend. Oxnard, California. I've never seen so many sand crabs before. Every footstep in the sand was filled with little crabs trying to burrow back below.

I was trying to get a shot of them....none really came out well. But, incidentally, I got a shot that showed something I had never seen before.

Sand Crabs by Desi595, on Flickr

I've heard that they stick out an antenna from the sand, and much as I had stared at all those tiny holes in the sand, I've never seen them before.

They use their antennae to catch plankton as the waves wash over them.

I think this will be a good year for surf fishing.

To be honest, I still don't see anything, even after your description.

edit: well, maybe now I do.

Augh! Very cool.

My first thought was, "Do you work for the NSA?" lol. Pretty cool, Desi...I had never,ever seen that! So the little dudes bury themselves, then use their antennae to filter for food particles...how cool! Now, I KNOW that seagulls love to eat those little dudes, so that type of burying strategy makes total sense.

And, the shot was a complete accident. I was trying to swipe with my feet and catch a shot of them tumbling with a wave (at which I failed miserably). I shot before swiping. When I zoomed in on the image all I saw was a sea of antennae and little eyeballs looking back at me.

Most reactions

Back