Weston-like Pepper Study

darin3200

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
friedrichsphotography.com
Mostly here I'm looking for a critique on tones, contrast, texture, shape and overall feel. I was sort of trying to what Weston did with the pictures of a pepper that went beyond just a picture of a peper.

Thanks ;)
pepper1.jpg

it's a good pic, somewhat creepyto me. what i don't like however is that it is mis-centred. it seems that way to me, it's too much to the right (well,too much...y'know).
also it has a lot of dirty grain on it, the edges aren't sharp. What camera and film/iso speed did u use?

eydryan said:
it's a good pic, somewhat creepyto me. what i don't like however is that it is mis-centred. it seems that way to me, it's too much to the right (well,too much...y'know).
also it has a lot of dirty grain on it, the edges aren't sharp. What camera and film/iso speed did u use?
Thanks,
You're right about the centering, it is off a bit, I'll just cut off some from the left to center it. I was using Kodak T-Max 400 in a canon eos-1 which is why it is sort of grainy, hopefully I will reshoot witha tripod and 100 speed film...if no one has eaten the pepper already :D

Do you think that the edges should be sharp? I did some with a really deep dof and some like these with a really shallow dof.

i would like the edges to be sharper because this way it kinda looses shape, it blends too much with the background. especially with the grain, the grain makes sort of an anti-aliasing with the background and i really think it looks kinda lost in there...

"no, don't eat the pepper, it's my work of art!!!" :lol: you could salvage some art by making the portrait of the one who ate it :D

It is always tough to recreate someone else's vision. Of course we all try it, but it is rarely successful. The best goal is to try to develop one's own response to a given subject in the end.

Well, everything looks OK to me except two things:

1) This has been mentioned, but, I wanna say it too. It is off center.

2) For me, other than the off center thing, that shadow is really bugging me. I wanna stare at that picture but that shadow just makes me wanna look away. Maybe its just me...

Most reactions

Back