Weston Master II

rdnzl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I picked this up today. It appears to be working and accurate as far as I can tell, by comparing settings with a few of my cameras that have light meters. It looks almost new.

I had one of these back in the early 60's when I used to have an Argus C3 as my first camera. Mine had the cool leather flip case. So I will be on the lookout for one of those.

3aQWBdB.jpg

Last edited:
I had one, and it died around 1976 or '77... I got another in the late 1990's (non-working). The dial readout on these is AMAZING!

I have a minty, working Weston Master II. Same box, same lanyard, no leather flip case.
I sure planned on using it... lol. I pictured myself walking around with the thing around my neck - metering everything in sight.
No, I have never used it. I just sunny 16 guess or meter with another camera :)

Nice photo tchotchke but I'd get a light meter app for your smartphone rather than rely on that. An incident meter would be even better.

My fully functional Master II w/Invercone for incident metering. Rebuilt by George Milton @ Quality Light Metric and will last 'til I'm gone. A quality piece that will help you understand exposure much better.

DSCN1635_zpscf3f80b3.jpg

As I recall, the "Film Speed" is in "weston", and Not in ASA, nor in the current ISO value, IMMSMC, weston is just 1/3 value off from ASA. I cannot recall if that (ASA) is one-third value higher or lower... 100 and 125 would be "equivalent", IOW. 50 and 64 would be "equivalent".

Have you noticed the arrow, the U and the O, and the seven-stop DR that U to O span represents?

yep I knock 1/3 stop offa box if I'm not using a film I've tested for exposure. And the U-O allowed me to understand The Zone System where I was kinda lost on it before. I don't use it strictly but pick and choose what parts suit me at that moment.

The original Weston Master II instruction manual is a very good read on using the meter's dial for placing metered objects in various "zones"under the old Zone System. The difference between an analog display and a digital-readout display is lost on many who grew up with only digital display tech in so many areas and on so many devices

I'm not even sure how much I will use it. I like old gadgets, and especially ones I had as a kid.

Most reactions

Back