Whale & Dolphin Trip

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I have signed up the other day to a whale & dolphin boat trip through my camera club, I'm just wondering what equipment I should bring to have some success on the day.

The camera I use is a D5100 but the only telephoto lens I have is a 55-200 mm. I would consider renting a larger zoom for the day, I haven't looked into costs involved at all but I was hoping to get advice on what I should be looking at and maybe some links regarding photo styles.

Regards,

What kind of trip is it? What you want to take is going to differ depending on how close they typically go and what size of boat you're going in.

Well I dont know exactly how it will go down but from the website we will be on a twin engine catamaran, 12 on the boat, and it seems to be fin whales and common dolphins, does that help?

Have you looked at the excursion company's website? There may be suggestions there, you may need to read customer reviews.

Judging from trips I have taken I would opt for a 70 or 100-300mm lens. A 200-400 may be great, but minimize lens changes outside of the cabin.
Be sure you get the insurance against drops and damage. And have fun!

Phil

I checked some of my old picts and the majority of them were from 300mm to 400mm. If you use too much zoom you'll have to be very good at predicting where they will breach. I have (too) many pictures of half whales and tail tips.

Most reactions

Back