what 1 these macro lens please?

will2ho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi have a nikon d3100 with kit lens ads dx nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6
looking to take close ups of watches what u guys think these to lens
[h=1]Tokina AT-X M35 Pro DX 35mm f/2.8[/h]Nikon AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G
i notice tokin more expensive then nikon any idear why?

I can't say what the case of the price difference is but I can say that both of these lenses have an extremely small working distance.
Don't expect to use these lenses for bug photography, the working distance is so small that the bugs will most likely be scared of way before you get close enough.
If your subjects are stationary though (like coins, flowers, etc.) there shouldn't be much of a problem.

If you want to go for bug photography I'd suggest 90mm or longer, that's usually what's used for bugs.

I don't think the Tokina will auto focus on your D3100. Most Tokina lenses for Nikon make use of the older AF design needing a AF screw drive motor in the camera body. The Nikon 40mm macro however, is an AF-S lens and will AF fine with your D3100. As to why the Tokina is more expensive? No idea.

Last edited:
hi there i just going be photoing watches no animals i try now with kit lens and it very blurred so if i buy the nikon i can get nice detailed close ups with no blur?

Where are you from? Do you have a local Craigslist to browse for more options?

hi no i in essex uk any other gd macro lenes for my camera for around 200 pound seconhand and will i c big diff then using kit lens

I know you said you're planning to photography watches so distance will not be an issue BUT to give you more flexibility in the future for macro photography, you'd want more focus length.

For this, I'd recommend the best lens that Tamron still makes - Tamron 90mm f/2.8 SP AF Di Macro. The latest model has built-in motor so it'd work on your DSLR body. This lens is the best 1:1 macro lens you can buy at the price range. The Sigma 105mm is better but more expensive.

BTW, are you on WUS? Just wondering.....if you don't know what WUS is then probably not.....

Most reactions

Back