"What a Day for a Day Dream"

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
View attachment 203000 These shots were taken at Robinson Preserve in Bradenton, FL. on a beautiful day.
11142391-F studio.jpg

11142671-f studio.jpg

11142561-f studio (3).jpg

11142574-f studio (2).jpg

11142450-f studio.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the likes Joel and Michael and Smoke665, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
#3 & 4... nice catches on the Pelicans

Nice set, in particular #3 is great catch. Only niggle I have is that shooting in bright sun, can be a major PITA. Colors wash out and contrast goes out the window, making images look flat. A lot of that can be recovered with adjustments in post if you are so inclined, otherwise I tend to steer clear of of those times, choosing early morning or late evening.

Nice set, in particular #3 is great catch. Only niggle I have is that shooting in bright sun, can be a major PITA. Colors wash out and contrast goes out the window, making images look flat. A lot of that can be recovered with adjustments in post if you are so inclined, otherwise I tend to steer clear of of those times, choosing early morning or late evening.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll go back and try a few things to bring some more color out. I wish I could've taken those closer to morning or evening, that's what I always shoot for but early afternoon was my only window of opportunity that day.

@smoke665 I did a little tweaking with the contrast, brightness and sat., is that better? I think it helped quite a bit, I just hope it's not too saturated.

11142561-f studio (3)-studio.jpg

I wish I could've taken those closer to morning or evening, that's what I always shoot for but early afternoon was my only window of opportunity that day.

Been there many times, you're right, sometimes you just don't have a choice. When that happens I shoot for a good distribution on the histogram and do my best to correct post, or depending on the circumstances, switch to HSS flash. Still a good set.

did a little tweaking with the contrast

To me it's better, contrast helps, but saturation might be a tad to much. Can't remember which editing program you use, but with a bright sun shot, you want to adjust the color temp first, since there's no real white, look for a gray, or black to sample. Then you want to set the white and black point. After that tweak your other settings and add a mild contrast curve.

In any scene there are differences in exposure that don't show up well in flat light. You can recreate that post with a cookie cutter approach that selectively darkens areas, leaving others alone. I posted a couple here
Yard Art The other day that show the effect I'm talking about.

that 3rd one is fantastic. looks like it should be breaking it's neck. great series overall, the neck on the 4th one reminds me of my third grade teacher..

did a little tweaking with the contrast

To me it's better, contrast helps, but saturation might be a tad to much. Can't remember which editing program you use, but with a bright sun shot, you want to adjust the color temp first, since there's no real white, look for a gray, or black to sample. Then you want to set the white and black point. After that tweak your other settings and add a mild contrast curve.

In any scene there are differences in exposure that don't show up well in flat light. You can recreate that post with a cookie cutter approach that selectively darkens areas, leaving others alone. I posted a couple here
Yard Art The other day that show the effect I'm talking about.

Yeah, I got in a hurry and over compensated with the saturated but it's not glaring now at least. I've done cookie cutter type work (darkening/lightening subject or bg) a few times in the past but sometimes it can be a real pita and I try to avoid it. Thanks for the critique, it's nice to get a 2nd opinion for a different view and learn a thing or two once in awhile.

11142561-f studio (4)-studio-studio.jpg

Last edited:
I've done cookie cutter type work (darkening/lightening subject or bg) a few times in the past but sometimes it can be a real pita and I try to avoid it.

Maybe its your technique? I use it a lot in LR and PS. In LR I use both Gradient and Radial filters to quickly adjust areas, in PS I use a Curves layer to pull down the exposure and a white mask. Then use a black brush to punch through the effect where needed. In either case it only takes seconds.

I've done cookie cutter type work (darkening/lightening subject or bg) a few times in the past but sometimes it can be a real pita and I try to avoid it.

Maybe its your technique? I use it a lot in LR and PS. In LR I use both Gradient and Radial filters to quickly adjust areas, in PS I use a Curves layer to pull down the exposure and a white mask. Then use a black brush to punch through the effect where needed. In either case it only takes seconds.

I've never used the filters you mentioned, I suppose they would help. I just need to figure out how to use them correctly.

Most reactions

Back