What a decision

ksshane

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.aircapitalconstrictors.com
I have really been racking my brain on this one... to the point of giving myself headaches.

Picking the right DSLR?

In highschool I used (probably what many used) the Minolta SRT-101. So when I first looked at DSLR's I was already a little bias towards the Minoltas. But after more research I see that Nikon, and Canon seem to be the big dogs when it comes to digital, and the most bang for the buck (my bang for the buck being around the 1000.00 range).
I really like the features that the Canon Rebel XT has to offer, but yesterday I went to the local store with full plans on buying it. When I got there they had the Rebel XT, the 20D, and a Nikon D50. Hands down I really liked the feel of the 20D, and the Nikon. But the 20D is just above the price I want to pay, and I can’t get around the features the Rebel XT has to offer compared to the Nikon D50. Mainly the mega pixels... I know, I know... What’s more important are the lens that you use and not the pixels.... But I can’t help but think (and hope) that some day I will take that one photograph that would look just perfect in my office or above the fireplace. And it would just kill me to find out that just because of the pixels I wouldn’t be able to make it big enough.

And now after doing the research on Canon, and Nikon I found myself looking at the Olympus EVOLT E-500 as well. Although I have to admit I have done little comparisons with the Olympus and the other 2 brands. I just started reading some reviews this morning.

Probably the hardest part of all this is... There just aren’t that many people that use all these different brands. Like I have read on other posts. You pick which brand you like, but after buying good quality lenses, and other accessories it becomes very expensive to change brands.

Thanks for taking the time to read about my issues with this decision. I know I’m not the first person to go through this, and definitely not the last.

Any input is appreciated. Although I know ultimately the decision comes down to me picking a brand and more than likely I will be happy with it.... Until the prices drop and the new models come out...LOL

Thanks
Shane

I have really been racking my brain on this one... to the point of giving myself headaches.

Btdt!

.... Until the prices drop and the new models come out...LOL

Tell me about it! Less than 4 years ago, I paid as much for my 4mp Canon G2 as the Rebel XT costs now! C'est la vie, I guess!

Ya know, it's a tough, tough decision. I've been wrestling with this one for months and finally I bought the 20D (rather than the 350D) last night. (Have you seen the comparison between the two--there's a link in this forum...the post is called "350D vs. 20D" or similar.) It wasquite a bit more than I initially wanted to spend. But when I compared the two models there were several key things on the 20D that I was worried about passing up plus the 20D just seemed to feel better in my hands (and that's such a personal thing
!). I also don't want to outgrow my camera anytime soon, so that was a consideration.

Another deciding factor for me was that there is a rebate through Corel to upgrade Elements to Photoshop CS for $300 (vs. $600). I knew that we need to get CS since my husband also uses Photoshop for his work and our version is OLD...so that $300 essentially comes off the price of the camera for me--the Rebel does not ship with Elements so it wouldn't apply. There is also a Triple rebate thing going on right now (applies to the XT also) where you can get up to $300 off the 20D if you buy a couple lenses or a lens and a printer, etc. (and up to $150 each off those).

I originally was looking at Pentax and Minolta for the same reason as you--I used a Pentax K1000 through high school and college and then a Minolta Maxxum something-or-other between then and getting our G2 several years ago (and I have a couple nice Minolta lenses). My FIL is an Olympus buff and wouldn't even sneeze at a Nikon or Canon, but it just seems to me that you get the most bang for your buck with Canon and Nikon in this category and range. I spoke with several professional photographers in real life and did a lot of research. At the really high end, professional side of it, it's Canon and Nikon all the way, from what I can tell. I liked the Canons over the Nikons for multiple reasons--again that's a personal thing I guess.

Also, I really didn't want to go with 6mp vs. 8mp. I also want the ability to blow something up huge and that's there more with 8mp--I also like to crop. That is why the Nikons in my price-range were also not considered for long. The new D200 may have been a consideration but it's not out yet and is a bit more than the 20D ($1699 body only, no rebates at this point).

Anyway, sorry to blahblahblah LOL but those are my thoughts. (Keep in mind I'm not a professional....just a wanna-be!)

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1137

Here's an article i found about interpolating images. While i have never accually done this, and have no idea if its even practical, it's nice to know that even if i take a nice shot with a low mega pixel camera, there still is a way to blow it up to "hang up on the wall" sort of size.

I can't help you alot in regards to the discision between DSLR's because I am trying to decide on one myself, and am still on the fence between Nikon and Canon.

I just thought someone might like to look at that article.

regards,
joseph

It doesn't matter at all what camera you get right now. Canon offers full frame, Nikon's flashes are better I keep hearing. Canon SEEMS to have a bit less noise with their CMOS chips... You can use pre-historic lenses with nikons... But with an adaptor you can use Nikon lenses on a canon too... blah blah blah

Doesn't matter a thing what your camera is. You'll buy a body, then bankrupt yourself buying lenses, tripods and flashes which will keep you locked into the system you pick right now. It's gonna be too expensive to change.

Go into a camera store and get your hands a canon and a nikon. Pick the one which looks prettier!

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33868

Take a look at how many pixels wide by how many high each cameras sensors output is. It's almost disappointing how small a difference there is between a 6 and a 8 MP sensor. Read the reviews about image quality between the two cameras, it might surprise you the 8 does no better or even a little worse than the 6 in many reviews. What features does the 350 have that the D50 does not that you feel you have to have? Yes, a Nikon lens can mount on a Canon body with an adapter but at the cost of loosing auto aperture and metering, and with some adapters infinity focus. It's my opinion Nikons have a more durable body and a history of support that is second to none.Try to compare apples to apples. Compare the D50/70 to the 350, and the 20D to the D200. It is no secret I prefer the Nikons, but that's me. I or a salesman, or Doc, or anyone else can't make up your mind for you. Try to hold each one, read the independent reviews (mag. reviews often are compensated by the manufacture through advertising) rent the models for a weekend if you can and make up your own mind. Like Doc said, the decision you make now is hard to change once you have a bag full of lenses to change out as well.

ksshane said:
John.. John... John...

I would have loved to have had this discussion with you, but I just pulled this thread up to say... I just bought the Canon Rebel XT.
HA! :mrgreen:

*Does a happy dance!* :p

Canon is so strong, it doesn't even need convincing! ;)

Just kidding.

BTW: I though you wouldn't be able to meter if you have a non pro digital body and old lenses?

As for the wanting to hang a picture on your wall...my boyfriend has a few hung no his wall that he took with his Canon 300D, and they are 16x20...

As for the wanting to hang a picture on your wall...my boyfriend has a few hung no his wall that he took with his Canon 300D, and they are 16x20...

Either brand DSLR is fully capable of big enlargments. My 5.47 MP D1X has sold 36" X 54" images. As long as the cameras generate a good quality file, and you do your part with exposure, composition and white balance this large and larger is simply a matter of what software you choose.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back