What a line up... Bravo Nikon!

best camera lineup i've ever seen and i've been photographing for generations since the tender age of 2013 AD.

ruifo said:
An interesting article about the current Nikon's line up: Consumer, Pro, DX, or FX? | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan
From the introductory portion of his article:

"Nikon’s inability to ever mumble a Road Map, it’s short-term “buy FX” marketing, it’s long overdue followup to the D300s, it’s strange weaving of random cameras into a product lineup that was totally confused for awhile, all these things just made everyone’s head hurt when it came to making a decision in 2014 and 2015. "

Now all Hogan needs in an editor to explain that it's is not the proper word he wanted. Three identical grammatical mistakes in one sentence is merely a misdemeanor offense, and clearly not a felony, and besides, he is now giving Nikon management a bit of credit instead of spewing his normal Nikon bashing schtick. Apparently, now it's once again possible to make a buying decision from what is now a non-random and non-confused product lineup.

I got a big laugh from the ending of his article!

"Nikon has done what I asked them to do: rationalize their product lineup (at least in the enthusiast to pro DSLRs). Things make more sense now, and your decision making should be less convoluted than it was.

Funny thing is, Nikon marketing doesn’t seem to know how to say all this."

Yeahhhhh, as if they're listening to his constant stream of criticism! Thank God for Thom Hogan, the American blogger who asked Nikon to do chit... lol

Nothing in the lineup for people that are broke! :lol:

I hadn't looked at the new lenses yet, I'll have to check those out.

Right. We won't be buying any of those. We are poor. My country is so poor, we have only one Stooge. Our chief export is bums.

best camera lineup i've ever seen and i've been photographing for generations since the tender age of 2013 AD.
I though the Nikon lineup in 2008 (D3, D700, D300) was pretty good.

And yet, you keep buying nikon and not pentax
So I can only assume that in your mind, if someone evaluate a market and find the best product, that person is no longer allowed to criticize said product or suggest improvements, because right now its the best ?

And yet, you keep buying nikon and not pentax
So I can only assume that in your mind, if someone evaluate a market and find the best product, that person is no longer allowed to criticize said product or suggest improvements, because right now its the best ?

Is nikon the best? Your purchasing history seems to suggest you believe so, yet your above statement lends significant evidence to the contrary.
Your assumptions about my line of thinking are, as usual, quite shortsighted and incorrect.

The truth is, both nikon and canon produce a camera that would give you probably 99% of everything you would ever want or need in a camera. ....you just can't, or wont, spend the money on it.

Criticizing nikon for not producing a camera with every feature you want at a price that you want to pay seems just a tad childish.
It's tantamount to me constantly criticizing ford because my Taurus doesn't have heated hand sewn Italian leather seats and go 0-60 in 5 seconds.

I already explained what I think would be ideal: that Nikon would produce a camera that does everything and you dont have to pick features. Much like Pentax, really.

Why can I only have a slightly larger AF field and a silent shutter including electronic first curtain OR a tilting screen, double card slot of same type ? To name the two features I like most about D810 and D750.

The D3-D700-D300 lineup was pretty ideal, IMHO.

Thom Hogan unsurprisingly agrees about this:
As I’ve written before, Nikon is cannibalization-phobic. They’re very, very careful about introducing something that might undercut one of their successful products, so much so that we sometimes get weird product feature inclusions that don’t make it to multiple bodies, such as the swivel LCDs of the D5xxx and D750 (and now D500). Nikon is playing the old Japanese CES product line game right down to the letter. Introduce high, then create a line underneath that with arbitrary feature/performance reductions to hit particular, lower price points.

Last edited:
Another interesting article about new ideas for the lineup: Why There Should be a Nikon D700 Followup | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

• D500 — Sole DX variation, basically a scaled down D5
  • D850x — 50mp upgrade to the D810
  • D850h — 20mp upgrade to the D810 using D5 sensor for speed camera
  • D5/D5s — Flagship, with significant additions in its mid-term update
  • D5x — 50mp sensor in D5 body

I would REALLY want to see a D5 or even a D750 sensor in a D800 body. AKA the D700's true sucessor.
I'm starting to get over having 4fps and 36megapixels, moving back to sportsphotoraphy more and more.

The only thing the D750 is missing is the build quality, the full metal body. But the camera is still well built and full metal builts would interfere with WiFi. Though frankly I view the D750 WiFi more as a tech demo, not something thats already a complete feature. Nikon needs to do way better than that.

Any maybe if you're used to the interface of the D700/D800, the interface of the D750 is different. But IMHO its not less powerful.

And about the D5 sensor - actually I dont want the D5 sensor, instead I want a backlit version of it. Technically the D5 sensor was already outdated the very moment it was out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back