voodoocat

))<>((
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.voodoocat.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The mrs and I went thrift store shopping today. First I bought a Yashica rangefinder for $10. Then we went further and found an Omega B22 XL enlarger for $65

I need a lens and a film holder, otherwise everything else is perfect. The bellows look brand new.

well, sir...to the list:

1) congratulations
2) i hate you for it
3) if i win my ebay schtuff on a rodenstock rodagon 50mm f2.8 enlarger lens, i will gladly send my el nikkor lens to you.

I love thrift store/garage sale treasure. EBAY makes it harder to find a truely amazing deal, but they are out there.

Here are my best finds:

Graflex film holder(holds 6 4x5) for $10 (EBAY price is $80-100)

Rolleiflex 3.5E Planar with close up set for $100 (EBAY price is $300 -$450)

Calumet 4x5 monorail view camera for $50 (EBAY price $150 -250)

But here's one to make you all sick. When I worked at the photo-lab I befriended an old photog who had been collecting cameras and darkroom equipment all of his life. Afraid that he wasn't long for this world and that his family would just throw all of his photo stuff out, he gave it all to me for FREE!!! I hauled four pick-up truck loads of cameras and darkroom gear out of his house. Most of the cameras were old, consumer cheapies, but the collection did include a Widelux, a Norita 6x6 SLR, and almost complete sets of Retina and Exacta cameras and accessories. There was also an Omega BII 4x5 enlarger with 135mm Scheider lens and all the neg carriers, and enough assorted darkroom gear for two darkrooms.

Always keep your eyes open, dig through boxes, and most of all ALWAYS BE FRIENDLY.

Wow, you did make a haul.

Now that the temp is going down there should be more garage sales which I plan on going to.

Damn people, these are the things I need to find! Especially since I will hopefully be getting this house bought soon and getting a darkroom set up in the basement will be job #1. Ok, maybe #2. I guess moving in would be a good start...

oriecat said:
Damn people, these are the things I need to find! Especially since I will hopefully be getting this house bought soon and getting a darkroom set up in the basement will be job #1. Ok, maybe #2. I guess moving in would be a good start...

oriecat said:

Whoops, got too button happy above.

Put an add in the classified that you want to buy darkroom gear. I am totally convinced that there is tons of stuff laying around in people's homes. These people may not even know what they have; it maight have been late Uncle Charlie's stuff. They aren't going to pack it all up for EBAY. They just really want to get rid of it, and reclaim the space in their basement/closet/spare room. Selling it to you dirt cheap is just what they want to do; they get rid of it and you come haul it away for them.

Last week a woman who works at the Arts Center where I teach a few classes took me to a basement to sort through a darkroom for usable stuff for the Arts Center darkroom. We ended up getting FIVE enlargers, almost all of them 35mm and med format. Two Graylab timers, contrast filter sets, tongs, trays, jugs, etc... Lot's of good stuff. I haven't checked over the enlargers yet, but they were all wrapped up nicely. The guy who owned all this stuff had moved far away, and the building landlord wanted it gone.

I'm telling you cheap and free darkroom stuff is all over out there, you just have to hunt it down.

Good idea ksmattfish. I'm gonna look into placing an add in the paper today. Why work to find something when someone else can find it for you.. :lol:

Most reactions

Back