What all software do I need?

demonsmasher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am a pc user. I have a sony a100. I do have the programe Gimp for some editing, just getting started. Do I need anything besides gimp. Been looking at lightroom, corel's photo software and corels Paint X. But like I have said I am just getting started and really don't know what all software that I really need for editing and tweeking the raw files that I will shoot. I can buy the education edutions of the software so I can get alot at good prices. Any Help with what all I need? I demoed the corels photoX software but really only saw that it had a nice tool interface that was really in every editing software like PS, Gimp and so forth just relabled for photo tweeking. I did like how
lightroom had thier stuff labled for the fstopes and brightness and so forth more in line with the terms with the camera. Any ensight great guru's of photoraghpy editing?

Adobe Lightroom is great for dealing with a whole lot of images. It allows you to edit them individually or in batches. It's a 'non-destructive' work flow...meaning that the program saves the changes/edits that you make but it doesn't actually apply those changes until you output the images. This means that you can change things all you want, back and forth...without compromising the integrity of the image.

I really don't know very much about the Corel products. Adobe Photoshop is the top program for photo editing...but it's quite expensive and has more features than you or I will ever use. You might consider Photoshop Elements, which is somewhat more basic than photoshop and a whole lot cheaper.

Is there any difference between photoshop and the photoshop cs line. The last time I looked at photoshop was ver 7.0.

The progression is ...6, 7, CS, CS2 and now CS3.

So the difference is that Photoshop CS3 is three versions newer than Photoshop 7....but it's the same software.

I would recommend Corel Paint Shop Pro over Photoshop Elements. Price is about the same for both products but the Corel product has more Photoshop features than Photoshop Elements. That is a very important difference.

skieur

I would recommend Corel Paint Shop Pro over Photoshop Elements. Price is about the same for both products but the Corel product has more Photoshop features than Photoshop Elements. That is a very important difference.

skieur

Are you saying Paint Shop Pro X or regular Paint Shop Pro?

I recommend Paintshop Pro X2 as well. I've used Photoshop and Paintshop and they both do very much the same thing. PS has a ton of plugins. I mostly like the tools in PSPX2 that you tend to use often. They also have the express lab and the organizer for workflow in PSPX2. I don't use either tho.

Does Sony come with any workflow or postprocessing software?

I have'nt seen much from Sony. My camera came with a picture utility and a image data converter. Sony's more into audio with thier software. Maybe thaat will be something they change in time.

Photoshop Elements 5.0 works perfectly for me, pretty cheap too.

I think a good one for you to try is Irfan View and the price is perfect(FREE)....I have used it a while back before my Photoshop and PSP days...When i first started out with a little Sony cybershot...just 2 mega pixels....I have graduated now as my love for photography has grown to a Canon Rebel amongst others....It also supports all the plugins for Photoshop that you can find on the internet!

The link is below and i have just had a look and now it supprts RAW and many other file formats....Do try it and let us know what you think!

http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967

Patricia..........:)

Most reactions

Back