What am I doing wrong??

Lyncca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lynccaharveyphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm sitting here in my living room screwing with my camera and it seems I can't take a clear picture in the Manual, Shutter, or Aperture modes. When I'm in auto, they are crystal clear, but otherwise they come out dim, orangish and unfocused. :confused:

I know if it can take a decent picture in auto that I should be able to at least that, if not better in a manual setting! Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this? :banghead:

If you have your shutter open to long and you aren't very steady with your hands, that will cause the picture to blur. Try using a tripod.

Usually on a camera it will tell you what it needs to be in to take the picture. Like, what exposure and such to set it at.

What settings are you messing with?

blur can be caused by lack of light getting to the "film". try a larger aperture or a longer shutter speed (which you will need a tripod)

hope this helps :)

Just ISO, aperture, speed and white balance. I can't seem to make ANY picture on any setting turn out in manual mode. On auto, its perfectly fine, so it shouldn't be that I need a tripod...

The light meter says it is good (I think?), but nada...

If that's you in your avatar then your grip is wrong.

Your right hand is gripping the right side of the camera and is in position to press the shutter button as is correct. Your Left hand should be with the bottom left corner of the camera body pressed into the back of your palm with the rest of your palm supporting the camera body and the fingers of your left hand supporting the lens. It also helps to have the camera pressed against your forehead or eyebrow to complete the three point stance.

You should also have your elbows pressed tightly against your body or against something solid.

You need the three different points for best stability (just like a tripod). You should also breath slowly and deeply and depress the shutter about halfway through your exhale.

I'm not the best in the world by far but I can hand hold down to 1/13 with confidence with this technique.

HTH

mike

try setting your camrea to 1/125 or above and you shouldnt get any motion blur, you could go lower but thats just for safty espicly with your 70-300

Just ISO, aperture, speed and white balance. I can't seem to make ANY picture on any setting turn out in manual mode. On auto, its perfectly fine, so it shouldn't be that I need a tripod...

The light meter says it is good (I think?), but nada...

what is your light source? also look thru viewfinder as you meter and make sure your exposure meter is in the middle

Try just shooting in P and see what you come up with.. Play with the exposure.

You could take a picture in auto, check the info on it and see what the camera set the settings to.. and see how bad you are off.

Ahh! I figured it out! My flash was set down very low in the manual mode, so in this poorly lit room, the speed had to be so low I couldn't hold it steady at that point, but in auto mode it was putting the flash back to normal.

Now that I fixed that, what everyone says works!

Thanks for your help :)

Try just shooting in P and see what you come up with.. Play with the exposure.

You could take a picture in auto, check the info on it and see what the camera set the settings to.. and see how bad you are off.

That is what I was doing and everything was the same until I saw that flash was different. Now all is well :D

If that's you in your avatar then your grip is wrong.

Your right hand is gripping the right side of the camera and is in position to press the shutter button as is correct. Your Left hand should be with the bottom left corner of the camera body pressed into the back of your palm with the rest of your palm supporting the camera body and the fingers of your left hand supporting the lens. It also helps to have the camera pressed against your forehead or eyebrow to complete the three point stance.

You should also have your elbows pressed tightly against your body or against something solid.

You need the three different points for best stability (just like a tripod). You should also breath slowly and deeply and depress the shutter about halfway through your exhale.

I'm not the best in the world by far but I can hand hold down to 1/13 with confidence with this technique.

HTH

mike

Thanks for the advice! Very helpful :)

Most reactions

Back