what am I doing wrong?!

Jewel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
OK, the last 3 rolls have been developed. Film is Kodak HD iso200, camera is the aged Praktica Nova 1.

These shots were taken in a rather unconventional manner, and I'm glad they turned out as well as they did - I had a beanbag on a tripod stool (one of those little camp jobbies), a 400mm telephoto lens. I had the camera wound and focused for the corner, and just sitting there. When the bikes crested the turn, I reached down and pressed the shutter release. So far, so good. I'm surprised, as I said, that they turned out as well as they did, because I thought when I hit the button that the camera moved. Well, we were supposed to be working, not sightseeing!

Anyway, these are untouched. Straight off the scanner. What I want to know is why the discolouration on the right-hand side of the pics, because these aren't the only ones affected. In fact, it gets steadily worse throughout the film until it is almost black, then it reverts back to normal again. Any ideas, oh photoforum gurus?

mypic6.jpg

mypic7.jpg

Lastly, this one turned out a bit better! It's a flower called a Hoya, from my garden. Taken with 35mm lens and 25mm extension tube. I've cropped a tad and enlarged a bit so my fingers aren't so obvious. The actual flower is about 3/8" across.

mypic8.jpg

Cheers all (and thanks for any sage advice!)
Jewel

Was the camera trying to compensate for the brightness on the left hand side? Was there a shadow on the right hand side?

Sorry I can't help. Perhaps if you list the settings someone will be able to offer the sage advice that you seek.

Good luck!

No, there were no shadows. Nothing to cast one either, and the other photos are at different locations and still affected, all on the right side. It's the first time I've used the HD film - previous films didn't do this. It's done it with several different lenses as well. It just seems to get progressively worse through each film, then back to normal, then starts again. It's almost like the film isn't winding on far enough or something, but why HD and not others? And it looks more like underexposure to me than overexposure or double exposure as I'd expect if it wasn't winding on properly. Could it be some glitch in the developing process?

As for settings - variety of lenses (400mm, 70-210mm zoom, 35mm, 50mm), usually F/11 (most were outdoors and sunny), 1/250 shutter speed.

Any shadows in the third photo are from the tree in which the hoya lives. It seemed unaffected.

Confused Jewel

Has you film ever been x-rayed - maybe more than once? You say it has happened with other rolls. Does it happen all the way through the roll or just on some frames?

doesnt seem like it, but you never know...were your fingers ear the lens in any way? clothing perhaps?

Phodog, I think you have it! We flew to Melbourne then home, and despite my objections (and me showing them the films) they insisted on putting them through the security x-ray. Twice... D'oh! Forgot all about that until you mentioned it. All 3 films are affected, all were x-rayed, but as I said, the degree of damage varies frame to frame - towards the middle of the film it got worse. And another 5 or 6 unexposed ones were x-rayed too, dammit. Suppose I should toss 'em now.

Cheers
Jewel

I would toss them, different film reacts in varired degrees - the others may still be ok - plus only some frames seem to be affected. I'd delvelop what you have, and but a fresh roll - and do a some tests in different situations. If it still occurs - there's a problem with the camera.
Have fun

Most reactions

Back