What am I doing?

ApSciPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.apsciphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm finally working in the darkroom again. I've been teaching in one for two years and trying to juggle several jobs as well as my own business that I'm way out of personal practice for my own work and knowledge.

I have a show coming up in a little over a week. It's been nice to have a kick in the butt to produce something new. :)

Anyway, I HAVE NO IDEA how to label my pieces. This is the first show that I'm displaying something other than c-prints, so I'm looking for the terminology to put on the tag.

I'm loading objects into the enlarger (for example, butterfly wings or a microscope slide), making a photogram image (is it still a photogram even though the objects aren't directly on the paper, but enlarged?), then making a contact print on fiber paper. What am I doing?

Thanks!

Shadowgrams.

I made that up (I think).

Call them Direct Photographs.

Just because the light sensitive emulsion is coated on paper rather than film-base doesn't stop them from being photographs. "Photograph" is a proud word with enormous cache. That's why people who make computer printout pictures want to call them photographs. And, I urge, avoid the term "print". Calling a photograph a print denigrates it, cuts the perceived value out of it, and consigns it to the general anonymity of "just another print".

Combine those last two suggestions...Shadowgraphs? Or you could probably still call them photograms, because technically thats what they still are.

photograms, and what are they printed on fiber or RC paper. Usually fiber prints are called silver gelatin and if toned that would be included.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back