What are my equipment good for?

allendehl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I know I'm asking a lot of newbies question but....that's what I am..
Please be patient....:mrgreen:

This is what I have bought last weekend:

-Canon Rebel XS
-18-55mm 1:2.5-5.6(Kit)
-75-300mm f/4-5.6.

I guess this is a very basic setup(Correct me if I'm wrong) and I wonder what kind of shuts this is good for.

I want to start from the beginning and trying to start doing more than what those lenses are designed for could lead to a little disappointing results....and that's not good at all at start up :wink:

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
I'd have to say that your setup is good for taking pictures.... lol I crack myself up. There are lots of things that it's good for. The shorter list is going to be what it's not good for. Not good for sports, lowlight situations(except with a tripod),Images blown up to bigger than say 11X14. It's great to carry around and have ready when the image presents itself. Not too heavy, but still big enough to have some nice features.

Wow...that sounds more exiting than I was expecting! LOL
Ok...so looks like it is good for a non-pro pretensions newbie trying to get nice shots of its family, some landscapes, sunset, beaches..etc!

Ok...to make it a little clearer for me...my stuff is good (among others) for:

1- General city shots at daylight
2- General city shots at night(not to dark environments)
3- Landscapes
5- Nice close ups
6- Nice portraits.
7- Sunsets/raise

Am I right?...if anyone is wrong, please take it off.

Thanks

It'll work perfect for that stuff. You may want to help your cause by picking up a shoe mounted flash. I think the Canon that everyone likes is the 580EX. If that's not the right model number don't scold me, I can't remember for sure off of the top of my head.

That's music to my ears!! Thanks lot...I'll get back with some other newbie questions hehe

Its not usual when starting out for one to find that everything they photograph suffers from some problems - especaily if they have little or no background in photography (say a guiding parent who shared the hobby or a few school lessons).
Its not really because the kit can't do it but more because the user tends to make the same mistakes over and over again and (because they are new) they cannot clearly say what the mistakes always are nor how to correct them.
Best thing is to shoot and then post the best online (say the best 5 at most - usually best to keep a thread to a single theme like all landscape or all portrates to aid commenting). Also post the kit you used, shutter speed, aperture, ISO (these 3 you can get from the properies of the photo file - just got to the properties and the details tab and scroll down); as well as what shooting mode you used (auto, manual, shutter priority etc) and also a brife note on the shooting conditions (eg it was really bright not a cloud in the sky - or a really dark room).

With that info people can start to give advise as to where there are problems in the photo and also in the methodology of how you shot the scene.

Last edited:
Its usual when starting out for one to find that everything they photograph suffers from some problems - especaily if they have little or no background in photography (say a guiding parent who shared the hobby or a few school lessons).
Its not really because the kit can't do it but more because the user tends to make the same mistakes over and over again and (because they are new) they cannot clearly say what the mistakes always are nor how to correct them.
Best thing is to shoot and then post the best online (say the best 5 at most - usually best to keep a thread to a single theme like all landscape or all portrates to aid commenting). Also post the kit you used, shutter speed, aperture, ISO (these 3 you can get from the properies of the photo file - just got to the properties and the details tab and scroll down); as well as what shooting mode you used (auto, manual, shutter priority etc) and also a brife note on the shooting conditions (eg it was really bright not a cloud in the sky - or a really dark room).

With that info people can start to give advise as to where there are problems in the photo and also in the methodology of how you shot the scene.
What a great idea. If I try something new I will have to post and see what others think.:thumbup:

Its usual when starting out for one to find that everything they photograph suffers from some problems - especaily if they have little or no background in photography (say a guiding parent who shared the hobby or a few school lessons).

Thanks a lot Overread, is good to see that most people in the forum understand newbies mistakes.
Your idea is awesome. I was wondering how to keep track of my camera settings!!! in order to post them here...now I know. BTW..I did see the speed and aperture but I couldn't see the ISO in the image properties.

Glad I could help :)
as for the ISO for me its right below aperture and shutter speed - labled ISO speed.
Also be carefull round it - at least for me its an editable value so don't accidentaly change it - click cancel on properties for safties sake ;)

PS - changing the ISO in the propertise won't change the ISO of the photo, it will just change the value that is shown in the properties window - the photo will remain the same, so all it will do is confuse you ;)

Most reactions

Back