What are some good lightweight reflectors for taking portraits at a reasonable price?

NedM

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I work a lot of with natural lighting but because of this I am always having a hard time filling in the shadows of my subject without the use of a speedlite.
Now don't get me wrong, I think strobes are handy but buying a high speed speedlite along with wireless triggers are just a bit out of my budget right now.

I have seen reflectors in action, they're lightweight, durable, and effective!
But I haven't the faintest clue as to where to start with reflectors.

In my case, I'm looking for a reflector that will diffuse and bounce light into my subject.
I'm not looking for a reflector, that when pointed at my subject, will make them squint/burn up.

Yes, I usually have an assistant so I don't mind how big it is, but not too crazy either!
My budget is $100 or less.

Basically looking for a good reflector for portraits!

Here you go... these are all MIC, but for ~$25 and no shipping, it's hard to beat. I would go for one which is at least 42" diameter if you're going for a round one.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This is big enough to really do the job on even a full-length standing person or small group. This is the size I use. I like the rectangular shape. One person can handle this size reflector.

Westcott Illuminator 48x72" Diffuser (White) 1707 B&H Photo

Here is what high, 11:30 AM sunlight in late July/AUgust looks like, pretty much SOOC using a white reflector of a different brand, but basically the same size..
156882869.jpg

[ D3X_3113_1800x.jpg photo - Derrel photos at pbase.com ]

$57.43 - Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon. GN58.

$20.95 - Neewer Wireless Remote FM Radio Flash Speedlite Trigger w/ 2.5mm PC 2 Receiver

Total = $78.38

You need a rectangular reflector, like the Westcott reflector Derrel linked to, too.
Use the speedlight as your main light. Use the reflector for fill and accent light.
Having a reflector that can also be used a diffuser is a real plus.
This is a bit lower quality than the Westcott, but is a 5-in-1 that includes a diffuser -
Fotodiox Pro 48'x72' Premium-grade Oval Reflector, 5-in-1 Collapsible Disc

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you're not shooting on location but in a studio or a house, then just go to Staples or an art store and buy a couple of honking big pieces of foam core. It's superb as a portrait reflector for a soft light. It has the added advantage of you can buy big enough pieces to then lean them against a chair or cabinet or table or tape them to a wall or clip them to a curtain. Even though I've got a couple of different photo reflectors, I still have 3 pieces of giant foam core in my studio.

I forget which brand mine is without digging it out. Regardless, for portraits, you want a 42-48" 5-in-1 circular reflector (white/black/silver/gold/translucent). You don't really want to go smaller than that.

The good news is, you'll be way under budget. Even big name brands are typically under $50 for a reflector this size.

Most reactions

Back