What are some tips and tricks you can give me to take better fashion photography of myself by myself

A tripod and remote with a mirror lockup will give the single best image as long as your not taking the photo in an earthquake during a hurricane flying over a tsunami caused by a meteor.

Well Soocom, I guess you would know. You’ve only posted 2 pics and one looks like it’s during a hurricane and the other right after a tsunami...., I’ll just assume caused by a meteor!!!!!! LoL LoL
And with all due respect, yes you are right but I’ll disagree!!!
SS

A tripod and remote with a mirror lockup will give the single best image as long as your not taking the photo in an earthquake during a hurricane flying over a tsunami caused by a meteor.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I guess you havent seen my other posts.

But ok

Well Soocom, I guess you would know. You’ve only posted 2 pics and one looks like it’s during a hurricane and the other right after a tsunami...., I’ll just assume caused by a meteor!!!!!! LoL LoL
SS

don't listen to these guys they don't know as much as they like you to Believe these are the same guys who tried to claim that a Full frame camera is just as good as a Hasselblad H6 Medium Format camera, that should tell you something right there.
LOL

@Designer if you're going to continue posting on my thread(s) with your sarcastic unhelpful comments, just do yourself a favor and STOP.

Whether you believe I need to go back to basics is your opinion, and you're entitled to that, but don't post hog this thread with your elitist attitude. My question is fairly reasonable. I had asked (presumably experience photographers) if there was anyway around having a photo shot similar to having a person do the shooting for you.

If you're not here to learn and provide help, and this is your way to gain some recognition because you're not getting any in real life, I pity you.

SS

don't listen to these guys they don't know as much as they like you to Believe these are the same guys who tried to claim that a Full frame camera is just as good as a Hasselblad H6 Medium Format camera, that should tell you something right there.
LOL

Y'know folks, it IS possible to disagree with someone without making personal attacks.

OP, you didn't like Designer's assessment of what you needed, but you went from 0 to 60 in no time at all. Unnecessary.

Sharpshooterr and Donny - you two need to tone it down and also stay on topic. Members are not required to post pictures at all, much less to gain 'cred,' and there is no need to bring up the film vs digital debate AT ALL.

Last edited:
It is pretty difficult to give a person advice without having an idea of his or her level of experience, and his or her style, and without having seen a good number of his or her photos. We really do not have much of an idea about how capable you are or what your fashion type photos look like. I can only remember the yellow windbreaker shot from a month or so ago, and therefore it is difficult to know what to tell you except to keep at it and to keep practicing. Self-portraiture is an art form and I think it is much more difficult to shoot a good photo of yourself than it is to take an equally good photo of someone in front of your camera.

I don't think of posting pictures as a way to gain credibility, but rather as a way to show others areas which you might be instructed to improve upon. If for example you tend to frame with too much top space, that is a tendency which typically reveals itself in as few as 10 photos taken by a single person over let's say a month's time. If you tend to include lots of extraneous background stuff, that tendency would reveal itself quite quickly and we might be able to suggest that you use a longer focal length to narrow your backgrounds and thereby increase your background control.

When you ask for photographic advice, it is customary to include samples or some way to let people see what areas your work could benefit from improving in. If you have a URL or an Instagram or Facebook account with photos, perhaps you could share it with us here and we could give you some advice that would be tailored to your situation and your current state of ability.

Tips and tricks? None that I know of, really. Unless of course you mean fundamentals. Like really looking at the viewfinder and literally seeing what it encompasses or learning how lens focal length affects the background width and magnification. It's kind of like asking for tips and tricks to becoming the next Ernest Hemingway. It's not about tips and tricks, but about learning and getting a firm grasp of the fundamentals of the craft.

The last person that I tutored, I saw perhaps 1,000 of her photos, and within about six months we had corrected her main areas of repeated failure.

Last edited:
@Designer if you're going to continue posting on my thread(s) with your sarcastic unhelpful comments, just do yourself a favor and STOP.

Whether you believe I need to go back to basics is your opinion, and you're entitled to that, but don't post hog this thread with your elitist attitude. My question is fairly reasonable. I had asked (presumably experience photographers) if there was anyway around having a photo shot similar to having a person do the shooting for you.

If you're not here to learn and provide help, and this is your way to gain some recognition because you're not getting any in real life, I pity you.

SS

LOL

Y'know folks, it IS possible to disagree with someone without making personal attacks.

OP, you didn't like Designer's assessment of what you needed, but you went from 0 to 60 in no time at all. Unecessary.

Sharpshooterr and Donny - you two need to tone it down and also stay on topic. Members are not required to post pictures at all, much less to gain 'cred,' and there is no need to bring up the film vs digital debate AT ALL.
Oh come on limr, can't we play tackle football for just a little while longer....., I hate it when we gotta play T-Ball!!!! LoL
Ohhh oookkk, lets put the H6 back on the T and swing at it!!! LoL, LoL....., just kidding!!!
SS

Oh come on limr, can't we play tackle football for just a little while longer....., I hate it when we gotta play T-Ball!!!! LoL
Ohhh oookkk, lets put the H6 back on the T and swing at it!!! LoL, LoL....., just kidding!!!
SS

No, no you can't. What you can do is let it go. Now.

Or, just ban him. that'll work too

Any progress, ph0toe? Status report?

Any progress, ph0toe? Status report?

sorry, if this community is full of people like that user, i want no part of it.

However, I see you took time to respond, so I I didn't take a pic of myself but i did take a pic of the same model (a dear friend) and i want your opinion on improvements/your critique. can i pm you or email you?

sorry, if this community is full of people like that user, i want no part of it.

Some people did respond with great detailed information of EXACTLY how to do it. You however seem to only focus on confrontations. If you want to live in todays online world you're going to have to filter stuff better than that.

Last edited:
It is pretty difficult to give a person advice without having an idea of his or her level of experience, and his or her style, and without having seen a good number of his or her photos. We really do not have much of an idea about how capable you are or what your fashion type photos look like. I can only remember the yellow windbreaker shot from a month or so ago, and therefore it is difficult to know what to tell you except to keep at it and to keep practicing. Self-portraiture is an art form and I think it is much more difficult to shoot a good photo of yourself than it is to take an equally good photo of someone in front of your camera.

I don't think of posting pictures as a way to gain credibility, but rather as a way to show others areas which you might be instructed to improve upon. If for example you tend to frame with too much top space, that is a tendency which typically reveals itself in as few as 10 photos taken by a single person over let's say a month's time. If you tend to include lots of extraneous background stuff, that tendency would reveal itself quite quickly and we might be able to suggest that you use a longer focal length to narrow your backgrounds and thereby increase your background control.

When you ask for photographic advice, it is customary to include samples or some way to let people see what areas your work could benefit from improving in. If you have a URL or an Instagram or Facebook account with photos, perhaps you could share it with us here and we could give you some advice that would be tailored to your situation and your current state of ability.

Tips and tricks? None that I know of, really. Unless of course you mean fundamentals. Like really looking at the viewfinder and literally seeing what it encompasses or learning how lens focal length affects the background width and magnification. It's kind of like asking for tips and tricks to becoming the next Ernest Hemingway. It's not about tips and tricks, but about learning and getting a firm grasp of the fundamentals of the craft.

The last person that I tutored, I saw perhaps 1,000 of her photos, and within about six months we had corrected her main areas of repeated failure.

Two weeks ago....still the same advice...keep practicing, keep shooting.Without seeing some actual photos, we can only give generic recommendations.Best of luck to you. Keep the faith. It's a process.

Some people did respond with great detailed information of EXACTLY how to do it. You however seem to only focus on confrontations. If you want to live in todays online world you're going to have to filter stuff better than that.
Yes, it's too bad. I attempted to give sincere advice but all I got for it was asking admin to kick me out! Oh well, gotta move along!!!
SS

Just an FYI for the OP, the Ignore feature works well and is easy to use. Just click on the members name and in the info box that comes up there is an Ignore button. And in 2 simple clicks problem solved :) And good luck with your shooting, there are some great members here who will go way out of their way to provide helpful information

Most reactions

Back