what are some ways to make money in Photography in January?

GerryDavid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm trying to plan ahead for January and February, and I expect business to slow down because most people are broke for a while, until they pay off their Christmas shopping bills.

So what are some alternative ways for photographers to make money in January and possibly February? Valentines day does help with February.

I mostly do portraits of families, kids, etc. I do some weddings but I don't expect any of those in those months. : )

How about selling photos to stock photography websites?

For many businesses, January marks the start of the new fiscal year and budgets get refreshed.

However, commercial photography has a very different business and pricing model from the retail photography you are used to doing.

selling gear in January and then having to re-buy it in February doesn't make much sense to me, so instead of making no money, your actually loosing money. great plan! :)

I do some stock, but it doesn't bring in that much money, and most stock being sold would be Christmas from now till then, maybe be able to sell some valentines day stuff.

Ive been meaning to look into commercial work, just haven't had the time or know how yet.

Offer some really great deals? Give a free print with any session? Not sure what you do already but giving some extra incentive to come on in might work for a month or two, and maybe state that the offer will be ending at the end of the month (or end of Feb or whatever).

How about selling photos to stock photography websites?

Sock photography is typically down in those months too, at lest that is what I notice. I would try selling some prints at fairs or craft shows. Typically you can find at lest one in your area once a month.

You can shoot Christmass cards, sitting on Santa, New yers eve parties, engagements, weddings, catalogs, interirors, model portfolios, babies, school pics, build your own portfolio, catch up on some of your wedding orders... just to name a few.

You can shoot Christmass cards, sitting on Santa, New yers eve parties, engagements, weddings, catalogs, interirors, model portfolios, babies, school pics, build your own portfolio, catch up on some of your wedding orders... just to name a few.

These are some good ideas.

There are times in business when things will be slow. This is the time to sort through your business and maybe develop new plans for the coming year, or revamp your existing plans to the times ahead. Paying attention to your market and existing customers.
Some say this is the time to concentrate on the past/existing customers with specials, because they already know you.
Good luck and keep us posted as to your endeavors.

I dont think theres a huge demand of Christmas cards or santa pictures, or new years eve parties in January. :D

theres not to many winter weddings here that I hear about, and none that have contacted me so far.

I dont have a school contract for school pics, its sweet money though, but I wouldnt like the assembly line non creativeness of it.

you can put off wedding work till the winter? figured they wanted a fast turn around in general.

I plan to do some office work in January, work on a new sign/post, do a better website, but I figured it doesnt hurt to figure out some ways to get some paying work ahead of time.

I guess in a small town, poorer clientell, there isn't much demand for photographers anyway. Everyone has a digital camera and everyone is a photographer these days. Cards n albums are done online real cheap so competition is pretty hight there.

When I was shooting for a living, Dec-Feb was engagement season and weddings were being planned for Spring. Most people start shopping for a photographer now. Putting out the feelers and getting your name to the top of the list is what you should be concentrating on. Check on old cutomers just to say hello n see if they need anything, they will spread the word for you as the nice guy.

Yeah I can see how New Years Eve parties aren't as popular this time of year, I guess August if the best time for that. :)

But seriously, New Years Eve and engagement parties are a good way to make some exta change. Hook up with a party hall n see what deals you can make. People enjoy the roaming candid Photog. Your assitant can get your CD finished before the end of the party for a nice presentation slide show as part of the party entertainment, make your sales right there, reorders online.

Last edited:
I havent heard of engagement parties before.

Interesting idea for the roaming photog. I dont usually like to sell digital files unless they pay $$$ for them each, but I havent had a ton of luck selling prints of candid shots in the past, so im considering the cd.

Do you just roam the party, take a ton of pictures, burn them all to a cd/dvd and sell that to who ever wants it? How much do you normally charge? I realize thats very subjective but its interesting to see.

I like the idea of making a dvd player disk with the slide show of the pictures because its harder to copy *not to hard but not everyone knows how but most know how to copy a disk of pictures* and sell that. But it takes a bit longer to get it ready to burn.

Ill have to find out where the party halls are here. Where are they usually located? Im guessing at some hotels, and clubs like the legion and such.

THere is an entire business of roaming photogs at parties these days. Engaement parties are very popular as well here in NY. It also gives the couples a way to screen their wedding photographer so a good deal is always offered for this event. It takes some advertising and making yourself public.

The slide show impressed the hellout of me at a friends party and I have been seeing more n more of it at other events as well. The guy spent the night going around to tables for group shots, catchinbg people on the dance floor, couples, people eating, talking, pre event gathering, food layouts, decorations...etc. Then near the end of the night we got a slide show. The photog was offering copies of it at the door for $20 a pop, also taking orders for prints n albums for all the guests as they filed out. His asistant was filling orders as he handed off the memory sticks all night. Smart cookies, he made a nice piece of change and got paid by the host as well.

At a few clubs in NYC, my friend has a really hot cover band, the bar has a guy taking pics all night of people dancing n having their own little parties with their friends (lots of tourists in Greenwich Village clubs). He offers prints online and CD slide shows of the night. He hands out cards n makes himself obvious to the crowd so they wind up posing for pics n of course they want copies fo their trip albums. Nice way to make money hanging around the club.

Get yourself listed with night clubs, restaurants n caterers. You advertise locally and be at town events n gatherings making yourself known as the photogrpher. Get involved.

I don't shoot for a living anymore, I'm retired n just do this as a hobby now, mostly reapir n restore cameras these days. I see enterprising hard working kids like yourself making their own niches.

Digital has made alot of this possable with instant access to your pics n technology that allows you to catalog n process orders on the spot using lap tops n WIFI. Your imagination is all that's holding you back. I had to wait a week to process that kind of film load, then another month to make prints n albums. your turn around is so much faster with less overhead.

Most reactions

Back