What are the expectations for a "refurb lens" ?

PropilotBW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just purchased a refurbished lens from Olympus directly, the Olympus 45mm f/1.8. Upon its arrival, it looks just as I expected, like a brand new product!
Unfortunately, there is a spec of dust on the inside of the forward most element that is visible to the naked eye. I have yet to pixel-peep or take a picture of a plain background to see if it is creating an issue.
I would have expected the lens glass to have zero dust since its OM Refurb. Am I right?
I have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, and I'm strongly considering returning it for a replacement. ....or would a replacement have the chance of having some dust or other similar issue?

I wouldn't sweat the tiny stuff.

Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Minor dust inside a lens is meaningless. Aggravating, but meaningless.

As for 'easy to remedy', there's no one, single way to disassemble lenses. Some need special tools, others can be done using household tools and even kitchen utensils.

You won't be able to see that on the images.
Even scratches on the front element usually don't show up.

I would have expected the lens glass to have zero dust since its OM Refurb. Am I right?
I could not say for sure, but I doubt very much if lenses are routinely dissasembled for refurbishing. The speck(s) of dust will not be in focus, therefore will not show up in photographs. I think it would take a whole LOT of dust inside to degrade your photos to the point of being unacceptable.

What I would expect from a refurbished lens is that it function and focus within factory specs and "look" clean and undamaged. And at a reduced price from new.

I would not worry about the dusts near the front of the lens elements.
This older lens that I have has a little scratch at the front lens element (photo below - lower left). But I never able to see it on my photos.

5122641708_c0c5b66d0f_z.jpg

Brand new lenses have dust in them.
They don't completely disassemble, clean, and re-assemble to refurbish gear.

If they would have to do very much to refurbish a piece of gear, it's worth more to them to just scrap the piece instead and write it off as a business expense.

Personally I find both "spec of dust" and "naked eye" to be a bit subjective. I was blessed with a father who was exceptionally near sighted (Dad's glasses looked like the bottoms of Coke bottles) and a mother who was exceptionally far sighted. Dad could have seen the smallest particles of dust with his naked eye, where Mom would have had trouble seeing the camera...unless it was a good 1/2 mile down the road, LOL!

Unless you're planning to use a lens (new, used, refurbed or otherwise) in a hermetically sealed, sterile environment, I probably wouldn't sweat it. As others have already suggested; dust happens. "Screws fall out. It's an imperfect world". My advice would be to mount the lens and try some test shots at various apertures. If you're happy with the results, then keep the lens. If not, return it. Seems pretty simple.

Just my opinion.

I wouldn't sweat the tiny stuff.

Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Minor dust inside a lens is meaningless. Aggravating, but meaningless.

As for 'easy to remedy', there's no one, single way to disassemble lenses. Some need special tools, others can be done using household tools and even kitchen utensils.

So that's how I got that rash...

I've bought 2 nikon refurb lenses and they've both been pretty much perfect.

Dust would bug me- but honestly, I don't think it would impact you images in any way.

I've bought Canon refurb lens with no problems, look new and includes one year warranty

Most reactions

New Topics

Back