What are the pros of a mirrorless camera ?

Look for the lens first.
It makes no sense to get a camera system that does not have the lens you need for what you shoot.Sigma has helped the Nikon DX and Canon crop cameras, by providing the fast lenses that Nikon and Canon do not make, like the 50-100 f/1.8.

Yeah and that's why I'm leaning more toward getting a Canon full frame versus mirrorless just because I have already spent good money on good glass.

My Nikon DX and lenses was fine for what I wanted it for.
Then things changed, and the lenses that I wanted were not available in DX format.
So I bought a FX/FF lens, and am now looking at a 2nd FX/FF lens, and possibly a FX/FF body :(

that's the good thing about mirrorless cameras, they can easily use all the different lens - FX, DX, MX, SX, GX, EFS, even the rare TDK lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

So the ability to use a lens does not make it a practical fit, as originally designed/intended in its native format.

As for "easily use," that is another issue. All of the Nikon to m43 adapters that I looked at, all stated that electronic communication between the lens and camera was not supported.
- Will the autofocus work, not if the AF sensor in the camera cannot talk to the AF motor in the lens. And I do not see a mechanical AF link (screw driver) for the mechanical AF (AF and AF-D).
- Can I focus manually, not if it is 'focus by wire.'
- Will the Image Stabilizer work, maybe not.

For Nikon lenses, we might as we go back to the old manual lenses on the m43 cameras. Even then we loose significant functionality, effectively taking us back to the 1950s.

I have no problem using "non-native" lenses on a mirrorless camera - full AF, IS, etc

It probably depends on the lens/camera combo, but Nikon at least on m43 seems out of luck.

Come on, we all know the real problem with DSLRs. Portrait photography of vampires is nearly impossible.

Look for the lens first.
It makes no sense to get a camera system that does not have the lens you need for what you shoot.Sigma has helped the Nikon DX and Canon crop cameras, by providing the fast lenses that Nikon and Canon do not make, like the 50-100 f/1.8.

Yeah and that's why I'm leaning more toward getting a Canon full frame versus mirrorless just because I have already spent good money on good glass.

My Nikon DX and lenses was fine for what I wanted it for.
Then things changed, and the lenses that I wanted were not available in DX format.
So I bought a FX/FF lens, and am now looking at a 2nd FX/FF lens, and possibly a FX/FF body :(

that's the good thing about mirrorless cameras, they can easily use all the different lens - FX, DX, MX, SX, GX, EFS, even the rare TDK lens

So the ability to use a lens does not make it a practical fit, as originally designed/intended in its native format.

As for "easily use," that is another issue. All of the Nikon to m43 adapters that I looked at, all stated that electronic communication between the lens and camera was not supported.
- Will the autofocus work, not if the AF sensor in the camera cannot talk to the AF motor in the lens. And I do not see a mechanical AF link (screw driver) for the mechanical AF (AF and AF-D).
- Can I focus manually, not if it is 'focus by wire.'
- Will the Image Stabilizer work, maybe not.

For Nikon lenses, we might as we go back to the old manual lenses on the m43 cameras. Even then we loose significant functionality, effectively taking us back to the 1950s.

I have no problem using "non-native" lenses on a mirrorless camera - full AF, IS, etc

It probably depends on the lens/camera combo, but Nikon at least on m43 seems out of luck.

It does depend. I shot a few shows in low light using a Canon 6D with 24-70mm f/2.8 USM II lens, and the photos are incredible!

Come on, we all know the real problem with DSLRs. Portrait photography of vampires is nearly impossible.

Touché LOL! But as ac12 said, it depends on the camera/lens combo.

Hmm, I thought you get seven years if you break the mirror on a DSLR ... mirrorless no got a mirror :blush:

beagle100 said:

Yet AGAIN, for the umpteenth time, you repeat this same,tired lie. You are like a broken record, repeating a lie, over and over and over and over and over. And in this thread above ac12 has taken you to task. Your use of the words "easily use" and "all the lenses"...that's quite simply a lie.

No autofocus. hair-trigger manual movement of the focusing ring on autofocusing lenses that are being used on non-native bodies. The need for adapters, some of them expensive. No automatic focusing with 90% or more of adapters. Autofocusing lenses that were deigned to be focused by a computer and a micro-motor, now being hacked onto a mirrorless where the hair-trigger focusing means that in many situations, hitting the right focus will be well,well beyond the skill level of many shooters.

We get it, beagle, you are a mirrorless fan. One who repeats the same,tired cannard, over and over and over. You really ought to be disciplined for this. Seriously. It's pathetic.

Write some truth once in a while. "easily use" and all the lenses". Both lies.

The fact that a lens can be hack-mounted onto a camera it was never intended to be used on does NOT make it "easy to use". If correct focusing is a priority, or correct flash metering, or the ability to focus fast, and accurately, if any of those things are a priority, then the hack-mounted lens might really be quite difficult to use for many,many people.

beagle100 said:
No autofocus. hair-trigger manual movement of the focusing ring on autofocusing lenses that are being used on non-native bodies. The need for adapters, some of them expensive. No automatic focusing with 90% or more of adapters. Autofocusing lenses that were deigned to be focused by a computer and a micro-motor, now being hacked onto a mirrorless where the hair-trigger focusing means that in many situations, hitting the right focus will be well,well beyond the skill level of many shooters.
The fact that a lens can be hack-mounted onto a camera it was never intended to be used on does NOT make it "easy to use". If correct focusing is a priority, or correct flash metering, or the ability to focus fast, and accurately, if any of those things are a priority, then the hack-mounted lens might really be quite difficult to use for many,many people.

LOL !
I can easily use my DSLR lens on a mirrorless camera ... with a $19 adapter !

beagle100 said:

LOL !
I can easily use my DSLR lens on a mirrorless camera ... with a $19 adapter !

So your's can, mine cannot.
As I posted, it is a PiA to use my Nikon DSLR lenses on my m43. And I go back to 1950s functionality, no auto anything.
So not a universal condition.

Firstly, I would like to say some positive aspects of a mirrorless camera. They are very easy to carry. Smaller,lighter and cheaper than a DSLR. Instead of view finder it has live view system.

Secondly, I would like say a few cons of it. The autofocus system of mirrorless is much slower. It has heavily customizable settings that can be hard for you since it has no view finder.
So, choice is yours.

Firstly, I would like to say some positive aspects of a mirrorless camera. They are very easy to carry. Smaller,lighter and cheaper than a DSLR. Instead of view finder it has live view system.

Secondly, I would like say a few cons of it. The autofocus system of mirrorless is much slower. It has heavily customizable settings that can be hard for you since it has no view finder.
So, choice is yours.
The autofocus system of mirrorless is much slower?
I hope you're kidding!

I used all Nikon gear for many years but due to ill health I needed to carry less weight around so I changed to Panasonic Lumix gear. I wish I had done this years ago.

I switched from Canon to Panasonic last year.
The only thing i'm missing - 135L.
It can be fixed with Metabones Ultra easily.

adapted lens work on my fujifilm but after using them, I just use the native mount glass. I don't get the hype. Most of the M42 show CA or nervous bokeh and frankly, the micro contrast leaves a lot to be desired. I tried it, it works but I'm not telling people to go out and get a fuji to mount your old glass on. Seems counter productive with all the great fuji glass offerings.

Some old glass have unique character... signatures. But, I think that generally, the pro level OEM lenses coming from Sony, Olympus, Panasonic and Fuji ... all deliver wonderfully sharp images equal to pro level dSLR lenses.

Having used manual focusing lenses professionally back in the film-only days. For me there is nothing finer than good autofocus.

Last edited:
Old and modern manual lenses are amazing in video production, at least.

Most reactions

Back