What are these?

Escwilson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I recently purchased an old house and inside I have found a bunch of old pictures with these included in the pictures. Could anyone tell me if these are real negative or what type of negative they are? I was told they're not negatives because they're not reverse negatives but honestly I don't know anything about it. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0381.JPG
    IMG_0381.JPG
    909.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20160309_181158.jpg
    IMG_20160309_181158.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 162
With what looks like dots in the shot of the baseball player, it looks more like a halftone.

Are they maybe 'camera-ready' layouts for something? They are captioned. What are the dimensions?

To me the ballplayer probably had the sun on his back so that looks darker on a negative and would be lighter in a positive print from the negative. Same with the admiral - the jacket was probably lighter (maybe khaki) and the tie probably would have been dark not white.

Size looks like it could be 120 but I wondered if these were for printing since they're labeled, or if they were commercially made. I have some slides that are of notable people etc. and seem to have been made for possibly educational purposes.

To me the ballplayer probably had the sun on his back so

Sun is to the camera's left. Bottom right: his shadow confirms this.

IMG_0381.jpg

Still looks like a halftone used for printing in the paper.

IMG_0381orig%20halftone.jpg

The first one is a half-tone negative (didn't look at the large version the first time).

I see the shadow now, couldn't make that out in the original scan of the negative posted.

So you reversed it to positive. In the enlargement you can see the dots much better.

Wonder as well what size these are. Positive transparencies like these were made for overhead projectors, unframed and usually letter (8 1/2 x 11) sized.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back