What are you favorite self-promotion techniques?

William Petruzzo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.petruzzo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We all know the bare bone basics; carrying business cards, using the internet and social networking websites, doing regular promotions, so on and so on. But we all have to get creative with our marketing sooner or later. So what are some of your favorite creative marketing techniques?

I've heard of doing lots of volunteer work using your photography skill, although I've not given it much attention yet. And recently I've been thinking about making some t-shirts that say something like, "I'm a photographer, I wanna take your picture" and using them as a tool for directing conversation toward my business. I also like to do free-sitting days to get people motivated and have some fun make connections.

But what do you think? What do you do?

I have e few depending on what type of photography you are willing to do.

For my sports photography, I just show up on youth game day (football at the local park) find the team mom for each game (usually pick one team, it's a little tough for me to get multiple shots of each child from both teams) and ask her to see if the other moms are interested in having their child action shots with no obligation. I take the shots, pass out cards (that in itself is worth the shooting) and then head back to the house to adjust, crop and post them. I then let the parents order directly off my site prints and other merchandise. Works very well.

I also have gone to wedding venues (this is a little more touchy because you may encounter someone who already has a fav) and offer either promotional photography in exchange for referalls, or referall rebates for combining my services with theirs.

Another thing to do is peruse Craigs list and see if anyone wants to trade services or get photography done for cheap, this is also a good way to expand a portfolio and gain recognition.

My 2 cents

I have e few depending on what type of photography you are willing to do.

For my sports photography, I just show up on youth game day (football at the local park) find the team mom for each game (usually pick one team, it's a little tough for me to get multiple shots of each child from both teams) and ask her to see if the other moms are interested in having their child action shots with no obligation. I take the shots, pass out cards (that in itself is worth the shooting) and then head back to the house to adjust, crop and post them. I then let the parents order directly off my site prints and other merchandise. Works very well.

I also have gone to wedding venues (this is a little more touchy because you may encounter someone who already has a fav) and offer either promotional photography in exchange for referalls, or referall rebates for combining my services with theirs.

Another thing to do is peruse Craigs list and see if anyone wants to trade services or get photography done for cheap, this is also a good way to expand a portfolio and gain recognition.

My 2 cents

Craigslist is a great spot to pick up bride, i usually offer 1 hr free in my packages to those brides.

Craigslist is a great spot to pick up bride, i usually offer 1 hr free in my packages to those brides.

Yeah, I'm usually running the Craigslist bit too. But in a super metropolitan area, there are dozens, sometimes hundreds of other photographers marketing themselves at the same time. It's only nominally successful around here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back